ordered a little window, just need reassurance

zennzzo

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 18, 2005
Mile High in Northern AZ, baby!~
1'' border with the barstock and use 3M 5200 fast cure marine adhesive for the seal...We put in the front windshields on the big fishing boats that way and believe me they do not leak...I have found that 5200 is marine safe too...;)

brianhellno

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 30, 2008
USA
When pond liner gets cut does it start to fray or will that not be a factor? To be honest I don't know what pond liner is made out of but would that possibly play a role later as far as leaks? Just trying to help cover all the bases. Good luck with the build!

ITHURTZ

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 11, 2007
Antioch IL
zennzzo;2677189; said:
1'' border with the barstock and use 3M 5200 fast cure marine adhesive for the seal...We put in the front windshields on the big fishing boats that way and believe me they do not leak...I have found that 5200 is marine safe too...;)
according to online, ace hardware has the 3M 5200 adhesive . Good becuase ace is right down the street. Already got the window today and drilled holes every 2" with a 1.5" boarder, so the holes are in center at .75".

ITHURTZ

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 11, 2007
Antioch IL
brianhellno;2679054; said:
When pond liner gets cut does it start to fray or will that not be a factor? To be honest I don't know what pond liner is made out of but would that possibly play a role later as far as leaks? Just trying to help cover all the bases. Good luck with the build!
Pond liner is rubber, why would it fray?

ITHURTZ

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 11, 2007
Antioch IL
Man I just spend 50$ in stainless crap to put the window in, 44 nuts, 88 washers, and 44 bolts. This is going to be a nightmare tightening things down 44 times. I looked for the 3m at ace and didnt see it. I just saw goop "sticks to anything forever" kinda stuff.

They did have DAP marine adhesive though.

ITHURTZ

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 11, 2007
Antioch IL
Taped up the window for the hole templates and pre drilled the holes about halfway. yes the tank is still full of water with occupants! I will be adding this window while they are still living in the tank. They will just have to enjoy low water for a day or so.

So I am hoping I can pick up some sealent of some sort when I can find it this weekend. I would like to complete it sat/sun.

zennzzo

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 18, 2005
I can't speak on anything else but the 5200 bro...I have seen it and bought it at home depot as well...get some acetone too, that's what you clean up the surfaces with...you can put the 5200 on the stainless hardware and holes...everything.

ITHURTZ

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 11, 2007
Antioch IL
Yes i did a search on google and it seems alot of people got the 5200 at home depot. So your saying get acetone and do what with it. Put it on a rag and clean the liner and window with it?

zennzzo

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 18, 2005
ITHURTZ;2680164; said:
Yes i did a search on google and it seems alot of people got the 5200 at home depot. So your saying get acetone and do what with it. Put it on a rag and clean the liner and window with it?
Clean all the surfaces to be bonded with the 5200, and then you can use it to clean up the little "holidays" that you will encounter with it...
I.E. drips, smears etc...
You can smooth out the bead of 5200 with a small brush dipped in acetone as well...

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store