ordered a little window, just need reassurance

wow_it_esploded

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 12, 2008
Over The Rainbow
Wait, is this the only window in the tank? I would have gone with a bigger window if it was...

Either way, patience is key. Give it the full week and then try it.

ITHURTZ

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 11, 2007
Antioch IL
zennzzo;2689491; said:
Yup...that's why I suggested "fast cure" it is solid in 24-36 hrs...
Make sure everything is where you want it, because in a week it will be there for good...Thing about the slow cure, is it is still workable with acetone so you can clean up any boo boos you might have...

If you got the regular cure, give it a week it'll be all done even if it is underwater. The stuff will cure underwater, but the guys at 3M couldn't gaurentee it's non-toxicity unless it is cured...It would probably be fine in a couple of days, but that's entirely up to you...

We have put live crab on it in 2 days before during the season, and didn't have any dead loss from it...that's been my experience with it...
Ya I didnt find any fast cure 3m stuff, this was the only stuff they had. Perhaps maybe wed or something. Its kinda firm right now with a slight tackiness to it. I just dont want the pressure of water pushing/seeping into something while the underneath is still "wet".

wow_it_esploded;2689627; said:
Wait, is this the only window in the tank? I would have gone with a bigger window if it was...

Either way, patience is key. Give it the full week and then try it.
Ya its the only window. I wasnt really worried about the size. I could have gone deeper like a 12" tall window but that would leave a few of my 12"+ fish in only a few inches of water. My 11" oranda just gets by with 8" of water. And a smaller window means fewer mistakes;)

But like I said, it was more of a if I can do this, will this work with pond liner kind of thing. When I build the next one in the summer I will try it out with a 8x2 peice of acrylic, or if not that size 4x2. Bolts, nuts, and washers already cost me $50, stainless aint cheap! $1.13 per bolt finished.

Liam

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 30, 2007
Brisbane - Australia.
5am;2677108; said:
ahh ok... ur securing it with screws and bolts... i would say 1.5-2" border... nothing less than that or else there could be a potential leakage problem..

I agree 1.5.

zennzzo

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 18, 2005
Mile High in Northern AZ, baby!~
See how thick the 5200 is? It will be like hard rubber when cured...
When we do the windshields, we mount from the outside on a 1" lip with 3/4" x 1/4" thick stainless barstock drilled every 6"...and it will hold back a blast of greenwater over the bow.(when in rough seas, and the bow dips below the top of the swell and it dips "green water") so you get 1000's of gallons wash out the front of the house across the windshields...;)

windshield mounting.jpg

Dr Joe

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 8, 2006
Sixty Miles South of Tampa Florida
Just explain to the fish that the tide went out :D.

Good job and congrats on getting the learning experience.

Dr Joe

ITHURTZ

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 11, 2007
Antioch IL
Im still scared. Its gonna be very interesting when I get to fill it up, I will probably be looking at the tank for 10hrs straight just waiting to find a drip.

ITHURTZ

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 11, 2007
Antioch IL
Well I got ancy last night and decided to fill it 2" onto the window. Put a towel down and left for the night. Just got home checked, and so far no leaks or any sign of seepage or water drop. So I am going to fill it up some more, well as I type its filling higher.

Last night the oranda found the window and put her eye up to it haha, weird fish I tell ya.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store