Photo Journal of a used 240.

chefjamesscott

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 16, 2008
regina saskatchewan canada
Verbosity;2153134; said:
It held water three weeks before I bought it.
I just plan to put some silicone in the lower chip. The top chip will be hidden by an overflow. If anyone has ideas, I'm totally open.

personally for a chip i would see about roughing up the spot a bit by just lightly going over it with rough grit sand paper then i would lay a layer of silicone over the chip enough to completely fill the hole and then i would put a smaller piece of glass cut to cover the chip with an overhang of at least 2 inches on all sides and then make sure to silicone the edges of the glass patch

this may not look the most inpressive but a sure fire way to make sure of no leaks i have a 90g tank at home that dont look the best but is fixed in two places like this it holds rock solid and who notices that when a *****ing tank is set up

chefjamesscott

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 16, 2008
regina saskatchewan canada
dang man i wish i was there to help ya with the roof could have that fixed in a flash

:) little roofing joke there

count me subscribed to this thread

maclak5000

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 3, 2008
New York
Verbosity;2442098; said:
Ok, though no one has commented. I've done some searching and discovered the silicone might hold. But to be safe I should use IPS Weldon 4.

Now, to figure out where I can get this stuff locally.

GE/Momentive Performance Materials makes a Lexan/plastic 100% silicone that would work fine can be found at HomeDepot and other places. Silcone 1 should work as well.

Verbosity

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 3, 2008
Savannah
Muske;2442106; said:
I have always used silicon on plexi for sump repairs/baffles w/no failures. Definately let it cure for at least 24 hours before water test.

First time I've seen this thread and thumbs up on the build thus far. The dewalt radio is one of the best radios on the market. It doubles as a charger, which most companies do not.

The radio is by far the most important tool on any jobsite. Be it painting, landscaping, concrete whatever. The radio is #1.
Silicone on just baffles, or something that is holding water in? You can see in the picture I have the silicone spread almost over the entire patch.

That radio is my baby. I bought her used. Tested on site, she worked fine. Brought her home. She didn't work plugged into the wall. A quick fuse later, and she's back to normal.

You have to have tunes!! And sometimes my wife just won't let me turn the stereo up to 11.

chefjamesscott;2442114; said:
personally for a chip i would see about roughing up the spot a bit by just lightly going over it with rough grit sand paper then i would lay a layer of silicone over the chip enough to completely fill the hole and then i would put a smaller piece of glass cut to cover the chip with an overhang of at least 2 inches on all sides and then make sure to silicone the edges of the glass patch

this may not look the most inpressive but a sure fire way to make sure of no leaks i have a 90g tank at home that dont look the best but is fixed in two places like this it holds rock solid and who notices that when a *****ing tank is set up
That is almost what I did. I didn't silicone the edges. I don't see a need. There is already over an inch of silicone the water would have to get past.

I did roughen up the edge on the sump side.

chefjamesscott;2442126; said:
dang man i wish i was there to help ya with the roof could have that fixed in a flash

:) little roofing joke there

count me subscribed to this thread
Flash. Haha. I've always been a do it yourselfer.. But I don't really care for doing roofs. The hard part was trying to get the 180 lb membrane on the roof with me and another scrawny guy. That was a feat.

maclak5000;2442139; said:
GE/Momentive Performance Materials makes a Lexan/plastic 100% silicone that would work fine can be found at HomeDepot and other places. Silcone 1 should work as well.
I used GE Silicone Type I clear. I've read that it is fish safe.

sabotage;2442147; said:
GOOD LUCK WITH THE LEAK AND CREDIT CARD THINGY
What leak? Credit Card has been taken care of. Thanks. Why are you yelling at me?

Verbosity

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 3, 2008
Savannah
I bought a large sock and over the edge sock hanger off of ebay. I made sure to get acrylic. I have used weld on 4 to join the pieces together.

So now the sock portion of my sump is done. I already have all the acrylic I need to finish this puppy. So start looking for updates..

Best scenario, I have a tank running by new years. Maybe with a feeder or two in it.

Bartek

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 22, 2005
london
uk.youtube.com
nice project.
GL with it.

Yanbbrox

Monster hole digger
MFK Member
Oct 17, 2007