Oct 17, 2007
Nr Mcr uk
Bad week, glad to here your fish are ok

NOLAGT

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Dec 5, 2007
Louisiana
Ahh man that blows! If I were closer I would help...I like DIY when I have time. Mine wont be setup for about a month either....I was going to build my stand but my wife wants it to match our cabinets. I never built a stand and I never tried to build something nice like out new cabinets so I am getting someone to build it. Buuuuut he is busy and I will have to wait....

Verbosity

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 3, 2008
Savannah
Since I am currently in a void of working on the tank and stand. I've been thinking about what to put in it. I've picked up several pieces of driftwood off the island I work on. I'll blast them with water, but they are way to big to put in the oven or boil. So I'll have the tank up and running with the drift wood and feeders to test it before I actually stock the tank with good fish.

I plan on using pool filter sand as my substrate. So that will be super cheap.
But for stocking it, I was leaning toward Mbuna. However, I am no longer considering that.

I'm considering putting a good size shoal of Clown loaches in this tank. I know loaches get big, but it takes them a really long time to get that big.

So I was thinking about 50. When they get big, I'll sell them off or something.

Since the loaches generally stay near the bottom, I will move my current community from a 75G to this tank as well. It has 3 angel fish (there will be a few more by the time this tank is running), 3 Small-medium pleco's, and a rather random assortment of other much smaller fish.

What do you think of this idea?

Verbosity

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 3, 2008
Savannah
Alright, my roof is finished except for the new gutters, and some trim painting. But it is close enough I can resume work on my 240G project.

I tested one of my pumps last night to see how loud they where.
I was amazed at their low volume. I'll be able to muffle that no problem.
Really makes me regret all the extra rubber I used to mount it to a piece of board. O-well, extra quiet won't hurt anything.

Look at that flow!! That's with two T's. Am I crazy to put two of these on my 240? I am thinking about using one on my 125, and one on my 240.

The bolts are sunk into the bottom of this board. They have rubber silencers meant for computer screws threaded onto the bottom.
The pump came with rubber pieces that fill the edges of the screw hole, and give a nice little rubber washer effect between the board, the pump, and the bolt.
I then took some left over roofing rubber, and wrapped it around the board the pump is mounted too.
Once this baby is screwed down to my stand, I doubt I'll ever hear it.

Alright, so it is time to start work on my sump.
But first of all I have a sump to slightly rebuild for my 125. I bought this used, and it needed some work.
In this picture you can see the grey pvc plugs I siliconed into position. This will hold the lid above the mechanical filter portion of the sump. (The previous pieces were missing.)

I removed two fittings on the side toward the workbench. I then sanded the area to give it a rough texture. Cut two squares out of some plexi I had laying around and siliconed them in place.
I'm pretty sure this will hold water. If you can't use silicone on Plexi someone better let me know real soon!!

I have just about all the parts I need to get a working 240G tank and sump.
I don't have any lights (this is ok, it is front of windows) and I don't have a UV yet.
I can go without a UV for a while. So this too is ok.

I have everything else!!
Note: I picked up several sheets of plexi from a neighbor at a yard sale. I asked how much. She said just take them. So I did. So I surely have enough plexi to do my 55G sump.
Let me know what you think!!

Verbosity

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 3, 2008
Savannah
Ok, though no one has commented. I've done some searching and discovered the silicone might hold. But to be safe I should use IPS Weldon 4.

Now, to figure out where I can get this stuff locally.

Muske

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 14, 2007
Mundelein IL
I have always used silicon on plexi for sump repairs/baffles w/no failures. Definately let it cure for at least 24 hours before water test.

First time I've seen this thread and thumbs up on the build thus far. The dewalt radio is one of the best radios on the market. It doubles as a charger, which most companies do not.

The radio is by far the most important tool on any jobsite. Be it painting, landscaping, concrete whatever. The radio is #1.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store