Please post all your wolffish here...any type also can!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

hopelessamor

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Tigriuns™;2907167; said:
Just wondering if Hoplias Macrophthalmus same type of fish as Hoplias aimara??
yes.same fish.wasnt there a post here in mfk with the same question?nwyz,2 different names,but only one fish(goliath wolffish).BUT h.aimara is more prevalently used and the initial scientific name for the species and h.macropthalmus was subsequently assigned mistakenly later on,so,discount the use of h.macropthalmus when describing an aimara.

Norbert

Candiru
MFK Member
Oct 5, 2005
just_relaxed;2906627; said:
Thx:) It was caught in Venezuela i was told. They are the type of black that can grow bigger than Xingu right?
From what I understand, and believe me...I'm no expert :D the Venezuelans get bigger than the Xingus.

Tigriuns™

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 27, 2007
Singapore
hopelessamor;2907500; said:
yes.same fish.wasnt there a post here in mfk with the same question?nwyz,2 different names,but only one fish(goliath wolffish).BUT h.aimara is more prevalently used and the initial scientific name for the species and h.macropthalmus was subsequently assigned mistakenly later on,so,discount the use of h.macropthalmus when describing an aimara.
Are you sure?? But h.macropthalmus do not have that spot on the cheek thing.

http://www.geocities.com/hopliasresearch/DataBase.html

And my LFS say to be selling "h.macropthalmus black wolffish" seem like misleading as what I think they are selling only black wolf.

channarox

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 27, 2007
south east asia
Tigriuns™;2909982; said:
Are you sure?? But h.macropthalmus do not have that spot on the cheek thing.

http://www.geocities.com/hopliasresearch/DataBase.html

And my LFS say to be selling "h.macropthalmus black wolffish" seem like misleading as what I think they are selling only black wolf.
link does not work.
people used to think macropthalmas and aimara were different fish.
they are the same.
some lacerdae have been called macropthalmas and some aimara were called macropthalmas.

jelly

Piranha
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2005
Herts, UK
www.Hoplias.webs.com
Tigriuns™;2907167; said:
Just wondering if Hoplias Macrophthalmus same type of fish as Hoplias aimara??
Yes, Although as already highlighted the Macrophthalmus I have seen don't seem to have the spot. http://www.practicalfishkeeping.co.uk/pfk/pages/item.php?news=1098

Norbert;2907717; said:
From what I understand, and believe me...I'm no expert :D the Venezuelans get bigger than the Xingus.
Yes i would agree. The Xingu's seem to be difficult to get upto 13" in captivity, They are probably larger in the wild. The Venezuelans seem to be bigger. Norberts is 15" yes?. A friend of mine has one that pretty close to 14". They do grow slow aswell.

Mudfrog, your Mala is awesome!

tigerlover2006

Candiru
MFK Member
Sep 18, 2007
Singapore
This is my favorite wolf. Like pellets very much. Almost 9 inches!

Status
Not open for further replies.
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store