Post your biotope sand natural aquariums

Gourami Swami

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2006
NJ
Really impressive tanks Stanzzzz7 Stanzzzz7 and Lilyann Lilyann both!

Lilyann

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Feb 20, 2017
This is amazing! Your photography skills are top-notch. How do you take pictures,and dont say with your smartphone-=- that would be unbelievable!
What is the wood that has green in it? Such an interesting mix of color.

Another observation, what makes this tank so beautiful as well is the mixtures of textures between the greenery, wood, leaves, rock,and even the fish. It is color and variations in texture ( but, natural! that is key) that make the whole design so effective.

Stanzzzz7

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 26, 2015
Uk
This is amazing! Your photography skills are top-notch. How do you take pictures,and dont say with your smartphone-=- that would be unbelievable!
What is the wood that has green in it? Such an interesting mix of color.

Another observation, what makes this tank so beautiful as well is the mixtures of textures between the greenery, wood, leaves, rock,and even the fish. It is color and variations in texture ( but, natural! that is key) that make the whole design so effective.
Thanks Amy.

Yes I do use my smartphone to take pictures. I would like to get a nice camera but I would have to learn how to use it.

The wood you mentioned is beech. I was working on a construction site and lots of trees were cut down. I cut up a trunk into several parts and left them for a year.
I'm pleased with them and they cover a fair bit of the back of the tank.
I have a few more stored for future projects.

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
With a good book it isn't difficult to learn the basics of DSLR photography. Main issue in tanks is usually light but that can be worked around :)

Reactions: Lilyann

Lilyann

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Feb 20, 2017
Thanks Amy.

Yes I do use my smartphone to take pictures. I would like to get a nice camera but I would have to learn how to use it.

The wood you mentioned is beech. I was working on a construction site and lots of trees were cut down. I cut up a trunk into several parts and left them for a year.
I'm pleased with them and they cover a fair bit of the back of the tank.
I have a few more stored for future projects.
I am just never going to be able to take pictures like that with my IPhone--
Beech- okay. Thats some amazing wood.

Reactions: Stanzzzz7

Lilyann

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Feb 20, 2017
This is a tank in transition-- All Wild South American sp. except the African Riverine tetras that some how snuck in here :confused:(They will be moving to there own tank set-up in coming year!). Right now it is too "stylized" for my liking.
I am working on the substrate, transitioning it over to more leaves, pods, etc...
But, cannot completely lose the sand because have geophagus in here.
To make the substrate more natural Ive ordered some oak leaves, Artocarpus Leaves ( these are amazing looking!) a substrate enhancement media called ""Fundo Tropical" Natural Substrate Enhancement Media from Tannin Aquatics.
I will also be doing something more natural with background- I know black is the "go to"- but I dont want to do this- so, will have to find something else. View attachment 1336821

View attachment 1336820

Here are the Artocarpus leaves:
https://tanninaquatics.com/products/tannin-aquatics-premium-artocarpus-leaves-package-of-12-leaves

The Fundo Tropical" substrate enhancement media.
https://tanninaquatics.com/products/fundo-tropical-natural-substrate-enhancement-media-75-oz-package
Received the Artocarpus leaves and substrate enhancement media from Tannin Aquatics. The wood is going into my discus tank and they even sent a complimentary package of fair trade coffee :)

I am going to add crushed oak leaves to the enhancement media as well. Should give some naturalness to substrate. Sorry about the poor quality of pictures.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store