R1 Version 2.0

Dragon Hunter

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2006
lalaland
Damn Jerry!! tank is SICK!! Must be nice having the Amazon in your living room.

R1_Ridah

In Loving Memory
Apr 4, 2005
WEST COAST
3dees;4614531; said:
awesome tank and fish. I think it would have been more natural with only wild discus instead of the domestics but thats just my opinion. may I ask why your adding salt? unless your medicating it's not needed. do you have any trouble with algae or waste being trapped behind the background. I thought about that same background but decided it was too costly to take a chance on, but it does give the tank a feeling of depth. well done.
Thanks.. I've always used salt as a preventative than as a treatment. Sometime ago I've kept nothing but predatory fish. I would feed a lot of beefheart, live, shrimp.. etc..etc... I believe salt helps with the digestive track and acts as a laxative for easier pooping which helps the fish organs. In addition, helps tissue healing, (fin damage etc.) To a degree I even believe it helps reduce certain parasites. Like giving a freshwater fish a quick saltwater bath to remove parasites. Of course not the same level of salinity of that a saltwater tank. I just believe in it and through the course of my fish keeping has always been part of my water chemistry. So I apply the same theory I have with my Discus. Being that I prefer to feed live Blackworms.

Yea, I'm digging the wilds more and more. I'll probably be picking up more wilds in the near future. As for the Albino's I think I'll set up an all BLACK tank for them. Black back, sides, bottom and then a nice driftwood center piece with some attached ferns and such.

When I look at my tank it does remove the element of that wild look. The Albino's look much better in a tank of their own. Like the way the previous owner had them..

As for algae, I'm actually for it. Having algae I think will even give it more of the natural look. Of course nothing that is un-manageable. As for waste being trapped in the back, No issues. I have a powerhead on a timer on one end that goes on when the lights are on. It will blow everything to one side of the tank (which is working) then I just siphon it out while I do my water change.

soulpatch

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 9, 2010
Downingtown, PA
What are you using for filtration? And does the background cause issues with the waste getting back to the filter? I know you said you have a powerhead behind the background and that you drilled some small holes in the background but what about the waste and such in front?

This tank is stunning and more or less curious now into the workings of it mechanically. Honestly after seeing this I have a strong desire to sell off my oscars and go in this direction as my tank is also a show piece but I am highly limited on items with my oscars.

ceeej31

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Feb 13, 2008
New England
R1_Ridah;4613723; said:
Thought I'd share a few water change pictures...

I do about 50% every 4-5 days. Then re-fill straight from the tap via homemade python hose (make sure temp is about the same). Add my salt and tetra aquasafe...
WOW!, the tank looks even more natural when it isn't filled up all the way :eek:

R1_Ridah

In Loving Memory
Apr 4, 2005
WEST COAST
soulpatch;4614808; said:
What are you using for filtration? And does the background cause issues with the waste getting back to the filter? I know you said you have a powerhead behind the background and that you drilled some small holes in the background but what about the waste and such in front?

This tank is stunning and more or less curious now into the workings of it mechanically. Honestly after seeing this I have a strong desire to sell off my oscars and go in this direction as my tank is also a show piece but I am highly limited on items with my oscars.
Thanks, the background acts like a BIG overflow box since the water level is slightly below the BG. I made 4 holes in the front, positioned in different areas of the back ground. The picture below will give you an idea on where I positioned them. It's the yellow highlighted area. It creates a pretty strong vacuum that sucks any free floating debris or waste. The bottom and sides of the background is well silicone so all the vacuum pressure is created through the holes I drilled.

As for the sand, I don't vacuum as it's not a very thick layer that my GEOS can't shift for me. As they shift through the sand they release and build up any gas pockets or debris or waste embedded in the sand. Reason for the Geo's in my tank. My sand never looks the same as hills and pot holes are created often by my Geos.

The filtration I have is an FX5 and Eheim. I want to incorporate a wet & dry as well, just haven't had the time to do so.

Hopefully I answered your question. thanks...

aquaterra_ama_1.jpg

mjuniorc

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Oct 16, 2007
Fish Room
R1_Ridah;4614748; said:
To you it's Daddy, like every time you get on your knees and squeal like a pig.........................................................:ROFL:
You got it twisted homie... As I recall you were on all 4's with a choker ball in your mouth.. Mumbling something like ohh Prometheus ~ daddy!! Ahahahahah

BTW.. I forgot to mention! Thanks for the expierience JERRY! Lmao

R1_Ridah

In Loving Memory
Apr 4, 2005
WEST COAST
PROMETHEUS23;4614860; said:
You got it twisted homie... As I recall you were on all 4's with a choker ball in your mouth.. Mumbling something like ohh Prometheus ~ daddy!! Ahahahahah
Okay, now your posting drunk again. Do you really want me to bring up your ball collection?

Does that look familiar...different sizes eh''.. You always said you liked variety....between your jugglin skills and sword swallowing... you should have never left Ringling Bros and Barnum Baily Circus... oh wait... you used those skills for other things.......

mjuniorc

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Oct 16, 2007
Fish Room
Ahahahahahha.... That was your fault for thinking your mouth was big enough that night, so I decided to help YOU out with a VARIETY of BUTT PLUGS. So much for you being prepared cuz I wasted some money that night, and I usually don't be SIMPN... Damn I guess, I was your sugar daddy for a night!! Ahahahahah

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store