Really good food for you Flowerhorns

loureyes

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Mar 4, 2009
Columbus, Ohio
I feed kens soft most krill not alone but in moderation I always feed a variety it keeps the fish well rounded. During the stress of spawning is when I feed more protien rich foods. I would eat ribs, steak n shrimp everyday but i wont because I am gonna have clogged out veins and have a heart attack or stroke.

Jimmy16

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Feb 10, 2011
Las vegas
loureyes;5003843; said:
I feed kens soft most krill not alone but in moderation I always feed a variety it keeps the fish well rounded. During the stress of spawning is when I feed more protien rich foods. I would eat ribs, steak n shrimp everyday but i wont because I am gonna have clogged out veins and have a heart attack or stroke.
a well fed fish is a happy fish imo. i'd die a happy fish if i was fed what i loved to eat everyday.

Jimmy16

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Feb 10, 2011
Las vegas
loureyes;5004169; said:
Yeah but what taste good isn't always good for you...
i don't understand why a fat fish is a bad thing... it's the best of both worlds. the fish is happy and the owner is happy. best case scenario imo.

Water

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jan 29, 2007
Houston
Jimmy16;5004184; said:
i don't understand why a fat fish is a bad thing... it's the best of both worlds. the fish is happy and the owner is happy. best case scenario imo.
I honestly see no need in having a fat fish. Besides, whats to say that a fat fish is a happy one? Why can't you just have a HEALTHY fish? :screwy:

matt612

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2010
lancashire uk
i bet if everyone posted a pic of themselves we would all understand why some people think it is ok to have fat unhealthy fish .i feed my fish on kens (so i can keep the grand sumo for myself)

artes

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2011
Alabama
Psuedofire, I think you're in the wrong hobby. What you want to be collecting is ART, not living things that you have no desire to care for.

Psuedofire

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 4, 2007
Minnesota
"Psuedofire, I think you're in the wrong hobby. What you want to be collecting is ART, not living things that you have no desire to care for."

I am collecting art! Are you saying that breeding and raising flowerhorns for certain colors and shapes is not a form of art? I dont know where you get the idea that I dont care for my fish or have a desire too. That was never stated anywhere. I simply don't have the desire to feed a fish expensive foods and hope to benefit a few extra years from it. I also see the goals being met that i am trying to achieve by feeding an "unbalanced" diet. My fish get 20% daily water changes and power fed, that is the way i keep my fish. Thanks for your opinion though.

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
One thing that should be mentioned here is that a more premium diet doesn't just equate to a potential longer lifespan, it typically also equates to a much healthier, stronger, and more disease resistant fish.

Some of the bioactive compounds found in the more "premium" fish foods have been shown to have biological effects in fish such as growth promotion, immunostimulation, anti-stress, anti-bacterial, anti-fungal, and anti-virals. These substances will work in a positive manner no matter if the fish is 10 weeks old, or 10 yrs old.

It's not just about longevity .....

When I choose a feed for my dogs, I don't just consider if they will live to 13, or 18 yrs of age, I also factor in their quality of life, while they are alive.

As far as cost, one can't just compare sticker prices either, the true value of any food is dependant on that foods nutrient value, and it's overall digestibility. In commercial aquaculture the difference between a low feed conversion ratio, and a high FCR, can equate to hundreds of thousands of $$$$ in feed in a single year. Cheap food does not always equate to savings.

There's a reason why generic farm feeds cost a significant amount less than a more premium fish food, the same as why a low cost supermarket brand of dog food costs a significant amount of $$$ less then a more premium brand.

Like most things in life, you get what you pay for.

artes

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2011
Alabama
What RD said.

If you know what you're feeding your fish is not contributing in any positive way to their quality of life, you're not taking care of your pets. Pets are not art - they're companions. If you're doing it ignorantly, its one thing. If you're doing it knowingly, then there's the problem. You don't have to buy the most expensive food in the world, but you should pay attention to ingredients/levels of nutrients, and buy the best that you can on your budget. Otherwise, why bother at all? They're not living artwork, they're living beings.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store