Red Wolf!

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
No idea, it’s not a “purple” so I can probably assume it’s not the peru variant.
I got it at exoticfishshop, not sure if there is a specific locale attached to theirs.

jjohnwm

Sausage Finger Spam Slayer
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2019
Manitoba, Canada
No idea, it’s not a “purple” so I can probably assume it’s not the peru variant.
I got it at exoticfishshop, not sure if there is a specific locale attached to theirs.
Is the Peru version the one called "purple"? All I read about it was a statement that Peru fish often develop the orange colouration on the belly as well as the sides. Mine had almost no orange at first, but it's starting to come in more and more with time...not on the belly, though...

My LFS always announces new shipments including point of origin, which is helpful.

I hope we see some pics of your new fish. Pretty demanding, huh?...coming from a guy that has posted a grand total of one fish picture since joining a couple years back...:)

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
Is the Peru version the one called "purple"? All I read about it was a statement that Peru fish often develop the orange colouration on the belly as well as the sides. Mine had almost no orange at first, but it's starting to come in more and more with time...not on the belly, though...

My LFS always announces new shipments including point of origin, which is helpful.

I hope we see some pics of your new fish. Pretty demanding, huh?...coming from a guy that has posted a grand total of one fish picture since joining a couple years back...:)
It seems to be muddy on what actually is what, but whenever I see the purples for sale, Peru is attached as the location.
I’ll definitely grab some pics when I can, assuming it doesn’t immediately go into hiding for a month lol
I was surprised when I saw the pic…I didn’t know you knew how to use a camera lol

jjohnwm

MFK Member
Mar 29, 2019
Manitoba, Canada
I was surprised when I saw the pic…I didn’t know you knew how to use a camera lol
Not as surprised as I was...and I don't know how to use a camera! That was a cellphone pic.

Turns out the Red Wolf is like a biological laser-guided missile. Decide where you want him for the pic...get pre-focused and ready on that spot...turn on the laser pointer...and snap the pic when he dashes right to the red dot and then sits there mumbling to himself because he finds nothing to eat...:)

Couldn't get easier unless I teach him to take a selfie...

jjohnwm

MFK Member
Mar 29, 2019
Manitoba, Canada
I observed some interesting behaviour being exhibited by the Red Wolf today during feeding. The past week or so has seen a typical large number of grasshoppers becoming very visible in the surrounding field as they rapidly grow towards maturity. We have a couple species here that are currently close to adult size, but not yet equipped with wings and therefore quite easy to catch. These guys are typically 1/2 to 3/4 inch in length, and quite bulky and meaty. Looking at them through a wolffish's eyes...they look yummy.

They will only be available to easily catch for another week or so, and after that will have sprouted wings and will become much more elusive, so I have been capitalizing on them and feeding him several each day. He will eat 4 or 5 before his interest wanes, and I admit I have been feeding him until it does. I can usually grab enough just on the lawn while going about other business.

Today I caught a particularly large and juicy-looking green one, fully an inch long. Seemed close to being too large, but I thought I'd try it out. I killed it and removed the long hind legs, typical preparation for using these, and dropped it in. He grabbed it, chewed it, shook it, spat it out, grabbed, chewed, shook, chewed...this continued for perhaps a minute. The hopper was too tough for him to dismantle; I had just about decided that it was too big and was getting ready to remove it and use it in another tank, when suddenly the wolf literally ran head-first, mouth-first actually, into the side of a flowerpot. He repeated this a couple more times, and it became apparent that he was actually using the maneuver to bash the big hopper further down his throat. After a couple of these energetic smacks the hopper was completely in his mouth, and he swallowed it with that side-to-side motion of the head seen frequently in fish and reptiles as they down something hefty.

I won't be tempting fate like that by offering such big prey again; the flowerpot he used as a tool...and that's really what it comes down to!...was coated in Java Moss which softened the blows somewhat, but what if he had chosen a bare rock or piece of wood, or the tank bottom? These were serious headlong smashes; I can easily imagine harm being done to that cute little face if he threw caution to the winds.

Never seen anything like this; very interesting fish, well worth the several years I spent waiting to find one. :)

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
I observed some interesting behaviour being exhibited by the Red Wolf today during feeding. The past week or so has seen a typical large number of grasshoppers becoming very visible in the surrounding field as they rapidly grow towards maturity. We have a couple species here that are currently close to adult size, but not yet equipped with wings and therefore quite easy to catch. These guys are typically 1/2 to 3/4 inch in length, and quite bulky and meaty. Looking at them through a wolffish's eyes...they look yummy.

They will only be available to easily catch for another week or so, and after that will have sprouted wings and will become much more elusive, so I have been capitalizing on them and feeding him several each day. He will eat 4 or 5 before his interest wanes, and I admit I have been feeding him until it does. I can usually grab enough just on the lawn while going about other business.

Today I caught a particularly large and juicy-looking green one, fully an inch long. Seemed close to being too large, but I thought I'd try it out. I killed it and removed the long hind legs, typical preparation for using these, and dropped it in. He grabbed it, chewed it, shook it, spat it out, grabbed, chewed, shook, chewed...this continued for perhaps a minute. The hopper was too tough for him to dismantle; I had just about decided that it was too big and was getting ready to remove it and use it in another tank, when suddenly the wolf literally ran head-first, mouth-first actually, into the side of a flowerpot. He repeated this a couple more times, and it became apparent that he was actually using the maneuver to bash the big hopper further down his throat. After a couple of these energetic smacks the hopper was completely in his mouth, and he swallowed it with that side-to-side motion of the head seen frequently in fish and reptiles as they down something hefty.

I won't be tempting fate like that by offering such big prey again; the flowerpot he used as a tool...and that's really what it comes down to!...was coated in Java Moss which softened the blows somewhat, but what if he had chosen a bare rock or piece of wood, or the tank bottom? These were serious headlong smashes; I can easily imagine harm being done to that cute little face if he threw caution to the winds.

Never seen anything like this; very interesting fish, well worth the several years I spent waiting to find one. :)
I believe you the Purple Wolfish I had was quite the character. I put a plastic shower mount to protect the roots of pothos the wolfish made it it's bed. Took a pic but it was difficult to see the wolfish lol

Reactions: Deadeye and jjohnwm

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020

Really cool. I wonder if that’s displaying any intelligence (the way other animals may use tools) or just it being a random occurrence. Definitely would be worth trying again, though as you said, the risk for injury probably makes that a bad idea.

jjohnwm

MFK Member
Mar 29, 2019
Manitoba, Canada
Really cool. I wonder if that’s displaying any intelligence (the way other animals may use tools) or just it being a random occurrence. Definitely would be worth trying again, though as you said, the risk for injury probably makes that a bad idea.
As interesting as it was to see, I was cringing throughout the whole episode. Won't be purposely doing it again.

But I know someone who could carry on this line of experimentation... :devil:

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
As interesting as it was to see, I was cringing throughout the whole episode. Won't be purposely doing it again.

But I know someone who could carry on this line of experimentation... :devil:
I’ll have to see how he reacts to crickets or shrimp…
A little too small atm though. He can barely fit a pellet in his mouth lol

jjohnwm

MFK Member
Mar 29, 2019
Manitoba, Canada
I’ll have to see how he reacts to crickets or shrimp…
A little too small atm though. He can barely fit a pellet in his mouth lol
Ah, Jeez...excuses, excuses...you sound almost like The Masked Shadow The Masked Shadow now...:)

• Haha
Reactions: Deadeye
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store