Rena Filstar XP4 - 3 month evaluation

Oddball

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Apr 27, 2005
Bama
After having the XP4 running on my 150 for the last 3 months, I have to recommend NOT buying this filter.

Out of the box, it was simple to load and get started (much the same way as the earlier models). It ran like a charm for a month. Then, one day, it quit. I opened the impeller cavity and found that the impeller and magnet would no longer match up (very bad 2-piece arrangement). I had to cut an old suction cup nib to keep the impeller seated to the magnet. A couple of weeks later, the filter quit again. This time the entire inside surface of the impeller was shaved down to where it could no longer engage the spinning magnet. I ordered another impeller assembly 3 weeks ago and am still waiting for it. I had to take the impeller from an XP3 I wasn't using just to keep a reduced flow running on the tank.

BTW, received a Fluval FX5 at the same time. It's been running without any problems since it's installation. I ordered 3 more.

Jesse

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2005
Bummer about the XP4, Phil. :( I've been running XP3s and XP2s for years w/out problems. The FX5 looks promising. It's HUGE!

Oddball

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Apr 27, 2005
Bama
The XP4 uses a larger magnet and faster motor. However, their impeller is still the basic design. The torque of the motor wore away the nub that catches to the magnet assembly in just a month's time.

Vitaliy

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 18, 2005
Brooklyn, NY
vitaliy.info
At this point I regret buying an XP filer as well, the flow is just horribly weak compared to other filters in the same category.

rust9000

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Oct 18, 2005
Cumbria, UK
I have to agree after 3-4months of having my xp3 the impeller did the same thing and the seals started to leak, i was not happy :(

rallysman

Polypterus
MFK Member
Aug 7, 2005
indiana
I've said it before and I'll say it again. I'm not a fan of XP series filters at all. They are way overhyped.

MilitantPotato

Candiru
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2006
Missouri, USA
Damn shame, looks like Rena took the cheap route and just made a bigger (taller only, same sized sponges) bucket and crappy parts. IMO it's way over priced too, It's a value line, it shouldn't cost almost 200 bucks for a couple liters of extra space and a slightly bigger motor.

Did they clog up fast? I have a theory that with the extra flow and same sized media that the sponges won't keep up. I'm happy with the XP3 I own, but it dosn't suit a mechanical filtration job, I use it for bio thies days.

Gr8KarmaSF

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Jul 23, 2005
Quarantine Tank
wow, hope my xp4 doesnt do the same thing....

btw ive been happy with my fx5 thou the outflow is weak imo

redtailfool

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Feb 17, 2005
New Jersey
Thanks for the report Phil and everyone for giving their own reviews..
now i know where to lean on the next time i get a canister.

hewhorunswithscissors

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2006
California
redtailfool;568452; said:
Thanks for the report Phil and everyone for giving their own reviews..
now i know where to lean on the next time i get a canister.
GOod info. I will be sure NOT to get an XP4 ever. I will say that I have run Xp3 and xp2 for a couple of years without ever a single problem... I LOVE THEM.

I have FX5 and not so impressed with it. Cloggs up quickly, and gets air trapped in it. Its already, does the job I wanted it for (since its not my primary filter) so I can't complain I guess.. but I would never want one as my primary filter.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store