Rena Filstar XP4 - 3 month evaluation

Wolf3101

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 26, 2007
Arizona
Hmmmmmm Every time I cautioned someone about the Rena filters and mentioned the very high return rate and poor flow rate...ECT. I got slamed by the "Eheim's trembling...." Crowd. I gave Rena a more than fair chance and actully tryed three of them....ALL failed and custmer servace is a joke. The frightening part is that all three failures were DIFFERANT. (One impeller....One split case...and one hose issue.)

ewurm

Aimara
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2006
LOL! Now boarding!

Always good to get new feedback on products.

Old-LastYearAirlines.jpg

Wolf3101

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 26, 2007
Arizona
LOL who even bothers to read the dates? besides...if the posts are truly worthless they should be deleted....after all someone ELSE might be having a problem...LOL

Miguel

Ole Dawg
MFK Member
Dec 28, 2006
Very much south..
Eheim all the way. no point in inventing and wasting time.

bigspizz

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 20, 2007
If you have paper...FX5 if you are on a budget XP3.....

ShadowBass

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 13, 2007
Poplar Bluff, MO
I never have had a problem with my xp3's. I have 5 of them, they've all been running great for months, the longest one around a year at this point, and apparently a lot of other people have had good experiences with them.

I've heard of problems with every filter. I haven't had luck at all with fluval 04 series, and I know of several people that have had problems with and absolutely hate most fluvals.

I run a bunch of emperor 400's, some of them used, and none of them have failed or had issues, yet I know some people that have bought several and had issues with almost every single one, same goes for penguins.

I hate Aquaclears yet tons of people swear by them, but they haven't suited my needs in the least, I don't even have any running anymore.

I really don't think there's any way to know what filter you prefer without actually trying them out. I've yet to see any company where absolutely no one complained that their filter failed or wasn't right in reviews. There always seems to be a small percentage of manufacturing errors and I guess if you happen to get several models from the same run there's potential of them failing.
As far as the customer service thing, I have no idea because I've never had to call about any of mine. I have seen a few reviews that said they took awhile but they did eventually send replacements.

Either way, I'm personally extremely happy with my xp3s. I think the xp4s are way overpriced whether they work well or not *shrug*.

soggysandwich

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jun 28, 2006
Chicago, IL
good to know ill keep with the xp3's and if i need bigger..hello fx5

rob0521

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2007
south florida
Look at it this way, on petsmart.com, you can get 2 xp3's for 10$ LESS then one xp4.... With the 2 xp3's you will have more total gph, and it seems that the xp3 is just better made too.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store