Rena Filstar XP4 - 3 month evaluation

REC

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 22, 2005
Seattle Area
Gr8KarmaSF;568451; said:
wow, hope my xp4 doesnt do the same thing....

btw ive been happy with my fx5 thou the outflow is weak imo
The outflow is weak.......:nilly: WTF........I totally disagree on the FX5.....The outflow is like a damn hurricane....There is so much pressure and outer flow on the outlet tube the damn nozzles shake violently...I would compare it to running 2 500GPH powerheads side by side. And i have mine stuffed with media so to me thats just weird that you aren't happy. Also I've been running a duo of XP3's on my 180 for over a year now and i couldn't be happier with there performance. I removed the spraybars on them so the outlet flows just rushes out. Water is always crystal clear and maintenance is very easy. Sorry to hear that some of you have gotten lemons but overall for canisters I give the XP3 and the FX5 10 out of 10.............

TankBuster

" I feel violated "
MFK Member
Feb 19, 2006
Glendora, Ca
I knew it. I was a big fan of the XP3, xp2 is weak and xp1 is a joke and when I saw the XP4 I saw the gph and laughed, there was almost no r&d that went into this unit, there were no design changes for the better. They cant compete with the big filters so thats it.

fishingaddict

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 25, 2006
houston, texas
hmm i wonder why everyone has different experiences with them. i run the xp3 on my 125 and everythin works exceptionally well. outflow is strong, runs good, and is quiet. no problems over here.

Oddball

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Apr 27, 2005
Bama
Just to clarify for a few...my evaluation is on the XP4. I never stated I ever had a problem with the XP3. I use several of them as, primarily, chemical filters used in concert with a larger primary filter.

BTW, since the hose detachment incident on the FX5, I've done away with the stock hoses and have attached PVC piping in their place. Since, the pvc hardware allows for more variations, I also did away with the FX5's small stock inlet strainer and use a 14" x 4" pond strainer. I doubt I'll ever see it clog.

strainer.jpg

rallysman

Polypterus
MFK Member
Aug 7, 2005
indiana
Oddball;569218; said:
BTW, since the hose detachment incident on the FX5, I've done away with the stock hoses and have attached PVC piping in their place. Since, the pvc hardware allows for more variations, I also did away with the FX5's small stock inlet strainer and use a 14" x 4" pond strainer. I doubt I'll ever see it clog.
Awesome idea!!

You drink a lot of Dew don't ya Phil:)

JEAE21

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 19, 2007
CA
I'm interested in the XP1, but what is an impeller? and what is a magnet gonna do?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store