Rena Filstar XP4 - 3 month evaluation

navygirl76

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 6, 2007
Ohio
www.flickr.com
i have 2 FX5's and i love them. However, i have noticed that you HAVE to change the polishing pad every week! i always notice that the flow slows down, and when i open it all up (it is a HEAVY sob to get out from under the tanks!) the polisher pad is smashed and nasty.( i keep one polishing pad, one blue pad, and ceramic rings in the center racks)
The FX5 is great, but you do have to watch that center media because if its dirty it slows your flow rate WAAAY down..and its true that sometimes air gets trapped in it.. i just reset it and it kicks the air out. I notice the air bubbles are at their worst after my weekly water changes for a few hours..
ive never tried any other canisters but fluvals and so far im happy--just have to make sure that waterflow is going good and nothing is clogged. i bought both of them off of someone on ebay for 170-180 bucks a piece..

Wolf3101

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 26, 2007
Arizona
I run several FX5's as well. I don't bother running anything in the center baskets except for bio-media. There is more than enough foam in the outer ring for mechinacal filtration.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store