sad day

mcox3

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 25, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
oh man... yeah dude, too bad you didnt know what the pump was used for before putting in the tank.

So is your well water contaminated now too?

Tommydeal

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 1, 2008
Dracut, MA
mcox3;2312753; said:
oh man... yeah dude, too bad you didnt know what the pump was used for before putting in the tank.

So is your well water contaminated now too?
Good question. Is there any way you can test this?

dogofwar

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 3, 2006
Maryland
www.capitalcichlids.org
Sounds to me that the brand of pump isn't the issue, but using ANY pump (mag drive or other) that's been filled with MEK/solvent is.

Why would someone put MEK in a pump for their jacuzzi anyway?

TwistedPenguin

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jan 21, 2008
Oklahoma
Cubans are a good choice. I almost got one and went with Carpniitis instead. Their beautiful, typical of Cichlids the males can be pretty mean to the females when they want to breed. They're not lightwieghts when it comes to other Cichlids either so I don't think they'd do well in a community setting with other Cichlids.
Sorry about your loss. I still think it was the micro-bubbles that caused the problem. Not to much oxygen but shooting too much CO2 into the water (for lack of a better way to explain it).

zennzzo

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 18, 2005
Mile High in Northern AZ, baby!~
dogofwar;2318233; said:
Sounds to me that the brand of pump isn't the issue, but using ANY pump (mag drive or other) that's been filled with MEK/solvent is.

Why would someone put MEK in a pump for their jacuzzi anyway?
Couldn't have been MEK because the pump impeller and housing would have been turned into liquid plastic...MEK will melt just about any plastic...as a matter of fact I have welded Plexi with a MEK/Acetone/Acrylic shavings mix...

cantrells3

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 4, 2008
california
That really sucks!! especially the oscar( even though i know you probably cared for them all equally) but losing a baby that you raised is always a hard loss. You should re stock with a group of oscars starting at the same size and just let nature take its course(in my opinion these make the best 180 set ups) I plan on doing this soon myself.Good luck on the next group

invisyblegypsey

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 8, 2006
Toms River NJ.08757
cantrells3;2390227; said:
That really sucks!! especially the oscar( even though i know you probably cared for them all equally) but losing a baby that you raised is always a hard loss. You should re stock with a group of oscars starting at the same size and just let nature take its course(in my opinion these make the best 180 set ups) I plan on doing this soon myself.Good luck on the next group
i did start over with all small babies red devils and a rescued oscar that was going to be fed to a red tail cat
and they all have doubbled in size:D

DragonKeeper

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 13, 2007
Marengo Illinois
Die off may have had something to do with the .5 ppm of ammonia that you indicated in your test results.

Keeper

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store