senegal just ate gravel...

Cholly

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 1, 2009
Metro Atlanta
Course sand is easiest to clean. I used super fine sand in my first sand bottom. Doh!:duh:

vaine111

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2009
Metro-Detroit
Just keep an eye on him to make sure his food is passing. My Del ate a piece of gravel and it wouldn't pass, every time he would eat his belly would get real big and later on he would barf it up.
If you notice something like that get some epsom salt at about a tablespoon per 20 gallons and see if it helps him pass it. It helped mine.

tcarswell

Polypterus
MFK Member
Dec 6, 2008
Tibet
thats why I went bare bottom.... I hope he is alright.

tcarswell

Polypterus
MFK Member
Dec 6, 2008
Tibet
vaine111;3624579; said:
Just keep an eye on him to make sure his food is passing. My Del ate a piece of gravel and it wouldn't pass, every time he would eat his belly would get real big and later on he would barf it up.
If you notice something like that get some epsom salt at about a tablespoon per 20 gallons and see if it helps him pass it. It helped mine.
Oh wow... This is what mine is doing I was worried he ate gravel (before it was removed) but he does exactly that... Eats gets a huge gut and occasionally I catch him barfing.. But he is always hungry.. Ill have to Quarantine him and see if I can resolve this. Thanks for the informative post.

zpetrichko

Candiru
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2009
NY
its been 24 hours and he hasn't been un-active. he's swimming around the entire tank has eaten and doesn't have a bulge in his stomach!

q_fish

Candiru
MFK Member
Aug 13, 2008
Los Angeles CA
so he probably didnt eat it.. when he bolted to the back, he probably dropped it or something.. i have sand in my tank with a albino and del and they pass the sand thourgh their gills.. so i dink sand should be good for them.. im using regular sand and they are fine.. ive had the albino for like 6 month now.. and the del for 4 days and they are ok.. =) hope ur bichir ok.. i dont dink he ate the gravel, cause if you dont see the bulge. he doesnt have the gravle in his stomach

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store