senegal just ate gravel...

zpetrichko

Candiru
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2009
NY
i'm thinking about moving to sand. how much do you think would be necessary for a 55 gallon? 50 lbs? 100 lbs?

zpetrichko

Candiru
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2009
NY
also, when i set up the sand, should i just put the sand in and run a filter or should i put the sand in and wait a few days for the sand to get settled.

q_fish

Candiru
MFK Member
Aug 13, 2008
Los Angeles CA
umm.. before you put the sand..
1.) rinse the sand until the water clear in a bucket or something.. not in the tank!
2.) turn off your filter so the filter doesnt suck in the sand
3.) turn on your filter to help clear the water up but before you turn it on, make sure the sand or debreez settles
then turn it on..
4.) even though you wash the sand, something the water will stay a little cloudy, but that should be fine
it will take like 1-2 day to clear up.. sometime faster..i also think it depends on what sand you buy. but
i used around 10-15 lbs of sand and it filled up like 1 inch from bottom up or so in my 55.. but now it all mess up cause my cichlids dig and made mountains..
hope this helps =0)

zpetrichko

Candiru
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2009
NY
well i know you have to clean it beforehand. so put it in then its alright to run the filter even if its cloudy?

q_fish

Candiru
MFK Member
Aug 13, 2008
Los Angeles CA
that what i did.. cause if you don't run the filter, it gonna be cloudy and it takes longer to clear up, if you run the filter, it moves the water so it clear up faster.. that what i did n mines clear up within 1 day

Cholly

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 1, 2009
Metro Atlanta
You don't want to go too deep with sand because of the danger of anaerobic pockets developing. Rake through it regularly or make sure it gets moved around. With mild tanks you can use MTS, but polys seem to think they're pretty tasty, at least mine do, lol.

MTS= Malaysian Trumpet Snails

q_fish

Candiru
MFK Member
Aug 13, 2008
Los Angeles CA
i dont have to worry about my sand becuase my fishes digg up the sand and built mountain.. but he should be ok by cleaning it..

zpetrichko

Candiru
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2009
NY
would an inch all around be good?, i have the tank sitting now. i have to get some sand and wash it out and all that goodness. i'm at school until thanksgiving break then i'll have the time to properly set it up once i'm at home for a week.

CTU2fan

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 12, 2007
Port Orange, FL
zpetrichko;3632704; said:
would an inch all around be good?, i have the tank sitting now. i have to get some sand and wash it out and all that goodness. i'm at school until thanksgiving break then i'll have the time to properly set it up once i'm at home for a week.
That would be fine. I used 100lbs in my 170 (footprint is 9 sq. ft.) and it's got me between 1-2" depth...I would use 25lbs or so in your 55. You can use actual aquarium sand but it will be expensive, I use pool filter sand and it works great. Try to avoid playsand, it's dirty and it's finer, more chance to get sucked up in your filter.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store