Something wrong with my Senegal

Jakob

Piranha
MFK Member
Feb 22, 2008
Iceland
disgusting! could never do that too a Poly!

beblondie

In Loving Memory
Mar 31, 2005
chicagoland
bacterial infection of some kind (you'd need cultures, slides and a microscope)to determine what kind,but death looks like hemorragic septcemia-Anne

carolines100

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 23, 2008
leeds
Sorry to hear that mate i didnt think he would have lived to long after that post . Unless u know what your looking for maybe cutting him in half was not the best move poor fella anyway good look next time

moonchild1970

BICHIR BABE
MFK Member
Feb 21, 2008
Spokane, WA
Yeah it sounds like an internal bacterial infection. It's called Hemorrhagic Septicemia.

I can tell you what I did to save my Angelfish who had that. I used a medicine called Furan: http://www.drsfostersmith.com/Product/Prod_Display.cfm?pcatid=4827

I dosed them, in a 10G tank, (because the smaller the tank the less meds you need to use) with Furan each night (for 3 nights) and every morning did a 50% water change with fresh dechlorinated water.

After three days of dosing them with Furan and every morning doing 50% water changes, I changed another 50% of the water and then I started the whole process over again.

I did that a total of three treatments.

I also jumped the temp up to 85. And bumped up the salt from 1tsp per Gallon to 3tsp per gallon.

The whole healing process took three weeks.

By then my biological suff was dead, so I did a 100% water change. 50% fresh decholrinated tap water and another 50% from my big 55G tank. And seeded the filter again from one in the 55g tank.

Within two more days all the bleeding was reasorbed by the Angel's body.

Of all the times that I have had fish, that had this disease, this is the first time I was able to find something to cure them.

So good luck and I hope this helps!

*Sends healing vibes*

beblondie

In Loving Memory
Mar 31, 2005
chicagoland
they should be fine-Anne
While we can usually diagnose the problem its hard to recomend medication.
The big problem with sick fish outside the USA and Canada not all the meds we have
are available otc many require a prescription from a vet.So the best I can say is go to your LFS tell them the problem and see what they recomend.-Anne

moonchild1970

BICHIR BABE
MFK Member
Feb 21, 2008
Spokane, WA
Yeah true. That's why I thought I'd post the link. :grinno:

It tells the main ingredients in the Furan, so if you cannot find it or don't want to order it online you can hopefully find something with those same, or similiar ingredients.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store