Spin-off Thread: How does Kensfish Food Stack Up Against NLS?

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
As I already mentioned in my previous post...I made a thread on DIY frozen food. It was asking for advice on how to make a good formula on DIY frozen food.
I have absolutely no problem with that, but why not simply do that instead of bumping an old thread that has absolutely nothing to do with DIY frozen food?

This discussion is titled; How does Kensfish Food Stack Up Against NLS?

Also, if you actually took the time to read what I have written in this discussion, you would clearly see that I have not pushed NLS on anyone.
I even posted the following on page 1.

I'm all for helping people save money in this hobby, so if you really aren't serious about providing your fish with optimum nutrition, then seriously consider buying in bulk from a feed mill. Trust me, if you choose a quality feed mill, your results will be just as good as what you are getting now with the food listed above, and you will save a BUNDLE of $$$$.

For some people that's good enough, I can understand that, especially in todays economy.
I guess you missed that part.

And how exactly does asking Hikari a question pertaining to the form of starch that they use in one of their formulas, in a sub forum that according to the admin of this site was created for just that reason (to ask Hikari reps questions) equate to me repeatedly bashing them on their forum?

I suggest you go back & read my comments in that discussion, I did anything BUT bash them, and IMO acted in a far more civil & respectful manner than the rep who repsonded to your email.

You make a LOT of assumptions, without knowing whom I have emailed, or phoned, or not. I hadn't even posted in that thread since back in April.
In the meantime I had tracked down the email address for Hikari's top researcher at the Kyorin Yamazaki Research Institute in Japan, and had discussed this and other things directly with him. I would have been MORE than happy to leave it at that, until you posted what you did.

Yes, the rep got back to you within 30 minutes, but instead of answering the actual question, chose to take personal pot shots at me. Stating that someone is notorious for spreading lies and half truths is pretty strong language, and certainly something that he could never back up with any actual facts. Anymore than he could with regards to New Life never raising any fish of their own.

I believe it was cchhcc that previously posted;

Those who have nothing to hide, hide nothing!

Good luck with your DIY recipe, perhaps someone else will take time out of their day to explain how feeding frozen food from your local grocery store, is not the same as a fish eating *live* food in the wild, and why in captivity vitamin & mineral supplementation is vital to the health of a fish.

Freezekougra

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 18, 2009
Brooklyn, NY
why not simply do that
I don't need to "do that," I already did it. And got no replies, as I already mentioned(except one that said "bump").

This discussion is titled; How does Kensfish Food Stack Up Against NLS?
I assume this was posted because the TS was looking for a food that would be healthy for his fish. It does not hurt to introduce frozen food, if that has potential to be better to be kens or nls. Note that I said potential...I am not insisting on anything. And if you think my post was so off-topic, why didn't you just ignore my post? My very first post in this thread was just a suggestion I was throwing out, and it was not directed towards you so I don't understand why it's so hard to resist the urge to respond if you really feel it's off-topic.

And how exactly does asking Hikari a question pertaining to the form of starch that they use in one of their formulas, in a sub forum that according to the admin of this site was created for just that reason (to ask Hikari reps questions) equate to me repeatedly bashing them on their forum?

Refusal to find a better contact method.

You make a LOT of assumptions, without knowing whom I have emailed, or phoned, or not. I hadn't even posted in that thread since back in April.

That's your personal contacting and I can't prove/disprove it. But look on page 2 of "Massivore Question." One month and refusal to even email? One month is still pretty significant. Could of effortlessly emailed a rep and asked for the email you were tracking down.

Short responses for those 2...this isn't related to frozen foods and I shouldn't of brought it up.

Good luck with your DIY recipe, perhaps someone else will take time out of their day to explain how feeding frozen food from your local grocery store, is not the same as a fish eating *live* food in the wild, and why in captivity vitamin & mineral supplementation is vital to the health of a fish.

What I said was a logical assumption I made. As I already stated two or three times, and as you already made it clear, I am not too well versed in actual nutritious needs for fish. Once again, the frozen foods was a suggestion and I did not post the exact formula or the exact amount of each ingredient to use.

So lets split this into 2 different sections:

1)So how come some people feed raw market shrimp(or silversides, or prawn, you get the point) as a staple without problems? Mentioned in my first post but failed to respond to. Again, this is just based on logic. So lets say that although my logic works in theory, it is wrong in reality. Then I am wrong. So we go to section 2.

2)Liquid vitamins. Remember, frozen food does not have to be completely from the supermarket. I also suggested purchasing spirulina powder from a different source.

and...you still haven't responded to what I said about "premium" food.
So since this thread is about kensfish vs NLS, I'll post something from kens. I think this is now one of the top foods ever created because it is a premium flake. /sarcasm

"
[FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]KENS ***PREMIUM*** TROPICAL FISH FLAKE:
[/FONT]
[FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]EXTRA STABILIZED VITAMIN C AND FRESH FISH OIL UPGRADE THIS COMPLETE DIET. FOR FRESHWATER AND MARINE FISH.
[/FONT]​
[FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]INGREDIENTS:[/FONT][FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]FISH MEAL, BREWERS DRIED YEAST, SOY FLOUR. OAT FLOUR, CORN GLUTEN MEAL, SHRIMP MEAL, DRIED PLANKTON, DRIED SPIRULINA ALGAE, DRIED KELP, LECITHIN, VITAMIN SUPPLEMENTS A, D3, B12, BIOTIN, THIAMINE (SOURCE OF VITAMIN B1), NATURAL COLORING, ASCOROBIC ACID ( SOURCE OF VITAMIN C)."
[/FONT][FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]
[/FONT]

Pharaoh

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Feb 18, 2008
Indianapolis
Let's all settle down and keep this civilized. These food threads are a good way to understand what you are feeding your fish and to help you make your decision about which foods to feed.

E_americanus

Penguin Lover
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2004
Louisiana
primitivefishes.com
i know this thread is a little old, but i just wanted to add my thanks to Karen and RD and many others for taking to post some very useful information on fish nutrition in this thread.
i deal with fishes for both work and the hobby, and i learned a lot from the various postings here. will definitely take this information into account when selecting fish foods no matter what i end up purchasing/feeding.
for the record i have fed both ken's fish food and NLS in the past and the fishes (hobby in this case) did great...but i strongly support the logic and research behind the benefits of carefully formulated, high-quality pellets, particularly regarding inclusion of micronutrients.

thanks again--
--solomon

kdrun76

Piranha
MFK Member
Mar 4, 2009
CT
You are most welcome.

**YEAH** I was appreciated! (a rare treat some days!)

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
Always happy to assist fellow fishkeepers. :)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store