Spin-off Thread: How does Kensfish Food Stack Up Against NLS?

jgentry

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Aug 22, 2008
Gallatin, TN
TheCanuck;4088099; said:
The guy that said his wife is a vet, lol o boy. Her being a vet you think she would advise a little more on this topic of food and nutrition. Vets these days know nothing about nutrition. She probably is advising people to buy science diet, Lmao.
Your a moron. Why would a vet know anything about fish nutrition unless they have specialized in that field. The clinic she works at does indeed carry science diet but she certainly doesn't recommend it for anything other then speciality items designed for certain illness etc. Don't assume what anyone is advising because you only make yourself look stupid. I also find it comical that you degrade someone that has dedicated a good portion of there life to school and studies. Only to come out and work in what is one of the most demanding and stressful professions. I"m sure that you are doing something much better with your life though. So keep saying "lol, o boy" and "Lmao". I'm sure that you could do a much better job then all of them:screwy:.

I am glad RD has provided such good info, I have definately learned some from the links he has posted. My problem is with people that seem to think others are doing some terrible injustice to there fish by not feeding NLS. Some of you seem to think that the only way a fish can be completely healthy is to eat NLS pellets. There are lots more factors to fish health then just the food you provide. Good food is definately important though.

cchhcc

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 31, 2006
Virginia Beach, VA USA
jgentry;4088178; said:
I am glad RD has provided such good info, I have definately learned some from the links he has posted. My problem is with people that seem to think others are doing some terrible injustice to there fish by not feeding NLS. Some of you seem to think that the only way a fish can be completely healthy is to eat NLS pellets. There are lots more factors to fish health then just the food you provide. Good food is definately important though.
Agreed. Even the best food can't compete with shoddy husbandry.

Modest_Man

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jul 5, 2006
Washington
cchhcc;4088192; said:
I fed my dovii silver dollars once, and he pooped quarters for a week. A swimming change machine.
Haha. Hilarious.

Seriously though, I was a bit worried. They were the only fish that ate it and it was NEON green poop.

jgentry

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Aug 22, 2008
Gallatin, TN
Success to me is healthy colorful fish that breed well and show no ill effects from the food I feed. That is all I need my fish food to provide and I have gotten those results from several brands.

I'm sorry that you have had bad experiences with vets. Like in all professions many are jerks and do there jobs poorly with little care for there clients. Not all are that way though and not all are in it to be rich. Some truely do there best for there clients and strive to provide the best care for the pet and most cost effective ways for the owner. If you have a problem with the price of vet medicine though, don't go to a hospital. The same procedure that a vet does for $200 would cost you $10,000 for a human.

I'm glad you have a fullfilling profession. Nothing feels better then coming home after a long day and feeling that you actually helped something or somebody.

TheCanuck;4088280; said:
Well you seem to care about what you feed your fish and when someone states its not that great of food you start a debate. If you really cared about what you are feeding your fish why wouldn't you just make your own? If price was a factor?

Also i am sure your wife gives up a lot of time and energy but i have very strong negative opinions on vets and their bull****. Its not her fault that money fuels medicence in all fields these days.

Now its even got to our fish foods...

""I've used a ton of different brands and have had good success with most of them."""

What exactly have you had success with? Where is the research and meaning behind your terms of success?

Some would say my profession saves lifes... i tend to stick to humans though.

jgentry

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Aug 22, 2008
Gallatin, TN
TheCanuck;4088280; said:
i should rephrase my comment...

"Knowing your wife is a vet, you should both be more advised on dog nutrition, rather than buying average priced petsmart garbage."
Why do you assume that my wife knows nothing about dog nutrition? And what exact food is it that I'm feeding our dogs?

dogofwar

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 3, 2006
Maryland
www.capitalcichlids.org
Not to change the topic... but probably a more significant issue that impacts fish health is the AMOUNT of food that people feed (no matter the brand).

Fish that are fat off of too much NLS...or Ken's Fish pellets...or Hikari...or whatever...are probably less healthy and fecund than fish that have several small feedings per day of ANY of these foods (or graze algae, worms and detritus all day)...

Matt

TheCanuck

Piranha
MFK Member
Nov 9, 2009
DALLAS TEXAS
jgentry;4088307; said:
Why do you assume that my wife knows nothing about dog nutrition? And what exact food is it that I'm feeding our dogs?

I didn't assume. I took your info that you didn't buy expensive dog food.

Kidney cancer
Bladder cancer
Skin cancer
Stomach cancer
Spleen cancer
Leukemia
Liver dysfunction
Major organ failure
Immune system collapse
Severe allergic reactions
Birth Defects
Blindness
Chronic Diarrhea
Hair Loss and
Behavior problems

all those happen in 50$ bags of dogfood. I wonder whats in the non expensive foods?

Also tattooing fish gives them great colors, does that mean its healthy?

I think the best judgement of success with a food is reading the back and figuring out the best ingrediants for your pet.

I have nothing personally against you or your opinions. I am bored at school man, and i am just tossing out constructive, agruementive conversational points. No harsh feelings in the cross fires, just joggin the minds :D (killing time)

also i will note, i do aplaud a vet that is very caring. But they still do work for a conspiracey comapany that in the end is only about money. ALL medical fields are this way and nothing will change that anytime soon.

jgentry

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Aug 22, 2008
Gallatin, TN
TheCanuck;4088322; said:
I didn't assume. I took your info that you didn't buy expensive dog food.

Kidney cancer
Bladder cancer
Skin cancer
Stomach cancer
Spleen cancer
Leukemia
Liver dysfunction
Major organ failure
Immune system collapse
Severe allergic reactions
Birth Defects
Blindness
Chronic Diarrhea
Hair Loss and
Behavior problems

all those happen in 50$ bags of dogfood. I wonder whats in the non expensive foods?

Also tattooing fish gives them great colors, does that mean its healthy?

I think the best judgement of success with a food is reading the back and figuring out the best ingrediants for your fish.
No hard feeling at all. And I'm sorry for the moron thing. I'm a bit protective of my wife!!

You are doing nothing but assuming. There are plenty of dog foods that cost way over $50 a bag. I said we do not buy the most expensive dog food. How in the world did you get me saying colorful fish and turn it into fish tatooing? Certain dogs can live perfectly healthy on cheaper foods and some do very poorly. You really need to match the proper food on a per dog basis as each animal often has it's own special needs. Also all of those things you listed you can get from your local grocery store from human foods as well. Enough of anything is poison.

Also reading the back of the lable means nothing without knowing each ingredients effect on a fish. One food may be great for one type of fish and deadly for the next.

All of this is way off topic anyway. Sorry OP, nothing more from me on this unless it pertains to your original poste. I shouldn't have gotten caught up in this anyway.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store