tank mates for an alligator gar?

phantoms

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 8, 2006
wisconsin
im just wondering what would be some good tank mates for an alligator gar? gar is about 16 inches, and will be in a 120. obviously fish it cant fit in its mouth, but any suggestions?

santoury

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Dec 8, 2006
Massachusetts
Did you end up with E. AMericanus' fish? I'd love to see a pic of this bad boy!
Tankmates can be quite diverse, just make sure that they aren't bullyish types.
I have kept gar with all sorts of Cichlids in the past with no difficulties. They also do well with larger characins/cyprinids and the like.

Polypterus

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 17, 2005
Detroit
feeders...Gator gars should not be overly trusted with other fish regardless of size or type. Have to ask though are you sure it is an Atractosteus spatula and not another gar? Not that I'm discrediting you it is just a matter of fact that these fish are often mislabeled and misidentified on the LFS and wholesale level.

Vicious_Fish

Here fishy fishy fishy...
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2007
South Central...
They sure are Polypterus, I love when the LFS's have a spotted gar and give it the awe inspiring name "Alligator Gar".

demjor19

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Dec 17, 2006
PA/OH
be careful w/ what you put in w/ him. even if my florida can eat it e gets very curious...almost has to reasure himself that he can't eat it...you know, a taste test. also even if the fish is too big for him to eat now, remember he is gonna grow...alot! for the most part though just go w/ any larger non agressive species. good luck!

E_americanus

Penguin Lover
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2004
Louisiana
primitivefishes.com
i agree with polypterus, you're best off not keeping the fish with anything, unless the tankmate is actually larger than the gator gar. even with that size tankmate, you could still readily have the gator attack it.

alligator gars are different in demeanor than any of the other species, so they definitely cannot be treated the same. keeping it with any fishes smaller than it can easily result in maiming of other fishes if not fatal wounds (or just plain old predation).

another thing to consider is that a 120g tank will very quickly be too small for an alligator gar. if you instead have a Florida or spotted gar, you will have a longer use of that tank and higher potential for tankmates--
--solomon

phantoms

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 8, 2006
wisconsin
i got the gator gar from aquascape back in july..... i saw another thread on here from someone who ordered two from them and they ended up being florida or spotted gars. i forget which. he had pics posted on here that you all clarified for him. mine didnt look like his..i'll add some pics to the site from a while ago if i can figure it out. yeah, i know he will eventually outgrow it. from my research online though ive read that after the first yr (grows 20-24inches the first yr) it only grows about an inch a yr after that. i'll fugure something out. i pretty much was gonna make it just a gar tank and only other fish in there would be feeders that didnt get eaten. was just curious if i could do anything else in there. thanks. i'll try to post a pic or two from a few months ago.

phantoms

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 8, 2006
wisconsin
here are some pics i hope......

[/IMG]

demjor19

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Dec 17, 2006
PA/OH