tank mates for an alligator gar?

demjor19

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Dec 17, 2006
PA/OH
phantoms;812916; said:
thanks man.....he is awesome!!!!
i sure hope you have BIG plans. think pond! im sure you know what you have. good luck with him! keep us updated on his growth.

E_americanus

Penguin Lover
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2004
Louisiana
primitivefishes.com
phantoms;812818; said:
i got the gator gar from aquascape back in july..... i saw another thread on here from someone who ordered two from them and they ended up being florida or spotted gars. i forget which. he had pics posted on here that you all clarified for him. mine didnt look like his..i'll add some pics to the site from a while ago if i can figure it out. yeah, i know he will eventually outgrow it. from my research online though ive read that after the first yr (grows 20-24inches the first yr) it only grows about an inch a yr after that. i'll fugure something out. i pretty much was gonna make it just a gar tank and only other fish in there would be feeders that didnt get eaten. was just curious if i could do anything else in there. thanks. i'll try to post a pic or two from a few months ago.
yes, aquascape had some true gator gars at the beginning of the season, but then later on they had Florida gars but still listed them as alligator gars (and the pic on their site was still of a true gator gar). we were able to sort it out later, but once 'out of season' there are virtually no small gators available, and most of the LFS & distributors start calling Florida gars alligator gars...this is mainly a problem that stems from the suppliers not properly ID'ing the fish, and the problem is systemic for the most part as no one bothers to look up the proper ID all the way down the line.

all that being said, yours is a good looking gator! good luck with the fish!--
--solomon

phantoms

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 8, 2006
wisconsin
thanks man.....with all the good things i hear about aquascape you think that they would no better then to sell florida gars as gator gars. when people realize they have a florida and were expecting gators did aquascape refund their money or give them credit for a future purchase?

E_americanus

Penguin Lover
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2004
Louisiana
primitivefishes.com
phantoms;815222; said:
thanks man.....with all the good things i hear about aquascape you think that they would no better then to sell florida gars as gator gars. when people realize they have a florida and were expecting gators did aquascape refund their money or give them credit for a future purchase?
yup, refunds were made (at least to me), they also have a better idea of the ID of the fish now, so it all ended up in decent shape. gars are tricky with ID, and its understandable that sellers have a lot of fishes to worry about; slowly but surely i think they will come around, and hopefully some day we won't have to worry about issues like that!--
--solomon

baracuda

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 2, 2005
SoCal
IME gator gars dont do good with any tankmates...i had a gator gar couple months ago about 10 inches and one day i walked in the room and it had my 14" silver arowana in its mouth...just my experience...

phantoms

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 8, 2006
wisconsin
i bet your jaw dropped when you saw that!!!!! were you able to save the aro? what was the outcome?

baracuda

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 2, 2005
SoCal
hell yea man!! i was completely surprised....yea i saved the aro the face was all cut up though....obviously the gar couldnt eat the aro not even fit the aro into its throat..it was just swimming with the aro in its mouth like when you play fetch with a dog and you use a big stick..thats how it looked except with an arowana lol...got rid of the gar and later the aro bailed out of the tank while i was gone:( so i went and got another :) GL

madmac82

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 4, 2007
Newcastle, UK
www.nscairsoft.co.uk
be very careful what you put in with a gator gar. my gator gar is only about 10in long at the min. but i came home from work the other day to find her in the middle of eating one of my Pangasius catfish, which was about 3-4in long.

plausible

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2007
Singapore
wow seems that gators are quite agressive i intended on gettin a couple of them hmm i think i will stick to somthing else anyway can i have clown knife together with my gars?

bad fish

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 16, 2007
earth
I keep my 6'' gator with a parrot fish, a j. dembsey,an oscar,a freshwater barracuda,a pink tailed calcleus & 2 senagal bichirs

good luck with the gator gar, they need a huge tank. i'm going to giv mine away when it is 4 feet long:nilly: :nilly: :nilly: :nilly:

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store