tank mates for an alligator gar?

demjor19

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Dec 17, 2006
PA/OH
bad fish;848891; said:
I keep my 6'' gator with a parrot fish, a j. dembsey,an oscar,a freshwater barracuda,a pink tailed calcleus & 2 senagal bichirs

good luck with the gator gar, they need a huge tank. i'm going to giv mine away when it is 4 feet long:nilly: :nilly: :nilly: :nilly:
lol! you may want to hide those tankmates before he starts to grow. actually be careful w/ what tankmates he has. i know JD's and O's can be quite aggressive. your gar is a baby and can be pushed around pretty badly if you dont keep an eye on them.

Monstaf1sh

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 3, 2007
Perth, Australia
I'm getting a baby gator gar as well so this is a good thread for me, my gator is only going to be 4inches i want to keep it in with my silver aro endli birchir and dat after i grow it out a bit i'm wondering if thats wise after reading a few posts.:confused:

demjor19

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Dec 17, 2006
PA/OH
Dragonf1sh;904553; said:
I'm getting a baby gator gar as well so this is a good thread for me, my gator is only going to be 4inches i want to keep it in with my silver aro endli birchir and dat after i grow it out a bit i'm wondering if thats wise after reading a few posts.:confused:
i would advise against it. what size tank are you going to put him in?

Miguel

Ole Dawg
MFK Member
Dec 28, 2006
Very much south..
Let me tell you guys, that I have discovered, not sure everybody agrees, that Gators have the fastest growing rate in FW fish..mine grow quicker than rtcats....

demjor19

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Dec 17, 2006
PA/OH
i could see that. i have never owned a gator, but i have heard from many that they grow like weeds.

E_americanus

Penguin Lover
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2004
Louisiana
primitivefishes.com
Miguel;905082; said:
Let me tell you guys, that I have discovered, not sure everybody agrees, that Gators have the fastest growing rate in FW fish..mine grow quicker than rtcats....
arapaimas also have a very fast initial growth rate, actually somewhat faster than alligator gars on average. definitely all monster fishes though!--
--solomon

Monstaf1sh

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 3, 2007
Perth, Australia
demjor19;905067; said:
i would advise against it. what size tank are you going to put him in?
Ive only got a 6x2x2 but at only 4inches i thought it would be fine for the time being.I'm thinking I might get one just to grow it up a little bit and pass it on just to have had one, they hardly ever pop up around here as they are hard to find, i think they most probably smuggled in. All the other fish are going to be bigger than it.

demjor19

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Dec 17, 2006
PA/OH
Dragonf1sh;906324; said:
Ive only got a 6x2x2 but at only 4inches i thought it would be fine for the time being.I'm thinking I might get one just to grow it up a little bit and pass it on just to have had one, they hardly ever pop up around here as they are hard to find, i think they most probably smuggled in. All the other fish are going to be bigger than it.
can you get a pic of this guy?

Dark_Angel

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 18, 2007
Indonesia
I combine my spatula with red tail catfsh....but sometimes my spatula bite the RTC and destroy its fin...:( aggressive gar...huhu...

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store