THE DEAD FISH THREAD!!!!!

dacox

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Nov 27, 2005
Illinois
Necro, you make me wish that I saved my 20" planiceps skeleton last week.

soggysandwich

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jun 28, 2006
Chicago, IL
necrocanis, how do you get the skeletons out like that, i would like to try this if i have a big fish that dies

wayne the pain

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 3, 2005
Manchester, UK
Hey can you do a thread on how you do this process, with pic's from start to finish :naughty: think it will make a great thread.;)

necrocanis

Catfish God
Staff member
MFK Member
Oct 10, 2005
montana
Glad to see the interest in the skeletons. I will make another thread to show how it's done when i do another one. Right now I am just in the assembly stage of several of them. There's a few different ways to do it though if anyone would like to do some research. You can boil large specimens, prepare any sized individuals for dermestid beetle colonies, or maceration(ugh very smelly) lol. Dermestids are probably the safest bet. never use bleach on a skull or skeleton as it will break down the molecular bonds of the calcium, and you will end up with chalky skulls that disentigrate over time. Use peroxide to whiten, to remove grease from the bones, use turpintine, laquer thinner, ammonia, ect. Whiten after degreasing. If anyone has a pet they would like to keep the skeleton I would do it for a small fee plus shipping handling, and costs of materials. Good advertisement lol. Just send pm.

bokononist

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 5, 2007
Wilmington, DE
this is really neat! i never thought about keeping fish in freezers before, or having them preserved in any way. the only thing i ever kept in the freezer was mice for snakes and pet rats awaiting cremation, preserved fish sounds like an awesome way to honor a passed aquatic pet! i feel so enlightened, and i'm glad i finally reached the end of this thread... i been reading it forever it feels like! lol

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store