THE DEAD FISH THREAD!!!!!

beeline

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 5, 2007
Pretoria, South Africa
Sorry for all your losses. Would like to know why some of them died. I don't have the heart to take pics of my dead fish (or freeze them or take them to a taxidermist), it's already so darn depressing. But in 5 years I have lost:

2 Clown Loaches (they were my first tropical fish ever. Well.... they got whitespot and died. They were very small and I didn't know that they get ich so easily. Luckily, I haven't lost any loaches since)
1 Shovelnose Catfish (due to idiot petstore that insisted the fish had been in the store for a week, but later I found out that it was only in their tank for an hour before I bought it - too much stress for one day)
1 Tinfoil Barb (due to lots of extra chlorine in the water supply - thanks for the warning) :swear:
2 Bala Sharks (1 eaten by my Ornate Bichir and one died because of the cr_pload of chlorine in the water)
1 Whiptail Catfish (f%$# - chlorine again!!!)
1 Fire Eel (due to idiot ex-boyfriend who didn't do waterchanges while I was away and didn't feed my fish nearly enough)
2 Polka Dot Loaches (idiot ex-BF again )
1 Black Ghost Knife (also eaten by my Ornate Bichir - b_stard)
2 Spiny Eels (f&$# knows) :confused:
1 Hoplo Catfish (eaten by ...........)

:cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry:May they rest in peace :cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry:

Luckily, I haven't lost any fish during this last year as a few things have changed:
1. No more idiot boyfriend :nutkick:.
2. I gave my Ornate to a friend who has a bigger tank with bigger fish.
3. I figured out that they are putting more chlorine and chloramine in the water supply and now use chlorine, ammonia and chloramine remover as well as filtering the water through carbon the night before I do my water change.
4. I pay for my fish at the petstore upfront, then they keep them for me for a week before I put them in my tank so they don't die from stress.
5. I'm at MFK and there are cool people who are always willing to help. :D

delight537

Candiru
MFK Member
May 20, 2007
NY
that tig was georgeous , that sucks man !!!! i lost 3 tigs myself one was eaten by a shovel nose tiger, the two others died from bad feeder fish. never fed feeders again after that .

delight537

Candiru
MFK Member
May 20, 2007
NY
ya , i miss those tigs . irronic how .59 cent goldfish can wipe out 1000.00 in fish without warning . live and learn . check them out in my pic gallery . one is eating a goldfish ! :0(***

necrocanis

Catfish God
Staff member
MFK Member
Oct 10, 2005
montana
necrocanis;914306; said:
why throw it away when you can study it and articulate it's skeleton. That's what I do with my dead fish and anyone who wants to give me some Feel free to pm once again lol. Here's a few pics. I promise to honor the memory of my fallen pets, and your's too. Hope that I can help someone learn something about their pets they didn't know before. Bring on the questions!!!:headbang2

Haven't visited this thread in a while. Sorry for everyone's losses. I will be working on some more skulls and skeletons soon. I am redoing my home museum. I'll see if I can't find some more pics.

necrocanis

Catfish God
Staff member
MFK Member
Oct 10, 2005
montana
Here's some pics I dug up. Enjoy! Also pictured is the smallest skull I have ever cleaned it's sitting on a dime, it's a toad, and a mekong catfish skeleton, not mine, but fits into dead fish I think. Also the skull that looks like a bunch of pieces is a disarticulated RTC skull. I am redoing it.

12.jpg

967e.jpg

catfish_skull small.JPG

fishes 029.jpg

fishes 093.jpg

fe41.jpg

fishes 109.jpg

mini toad on a dime.jpg

Pseudoplatystoma fasciatum x leiarius longibarbus hybrid.jpg

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com