THE DEAD FISH THREAD!!!!!

necrocanis

Catfish God
Staff member
MFK Member
Oct 10, 2005
montana
um, possibly, I have found that burrying skulls of fish or any animal doesn't work too well. Usually when you dig it up you are missing many pieces. Probably from shrews and other underground animals scattering it subterranian style. I've done a large blue catfish skull that was in a compost pile for about 3 months and still lost a few pieces. What kind of fish was it?

cichlaguapote

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Oct 2, 2006
Pripyat, Ukraine
necrocanis;1278364; said:
um, possibly, I have found that burrying skulls of fish or any animal doesn't work too well. Usually when you dig it up you are missing many pieces. Probably from shrews and other underground animals scattering it subterranian style. I've done a large blue catfish skull that was in a compost pile for about 3 months and still lost a few pieces. What kind of fish was it?

It was a dovii.. I didn't bury it on purpose to be exumed later, only cause it was large and rather than throw it away it was easier to bury 12" down or so. It's under my back deck where no one really traffics over. This thread made me think of digging up the skull.. It's cool though. Will remember for the next dead fish I find..

necrocanis

Catfish God
Staff member
MFK Member
Oct 10, 2005
montana
The TRUST;1278355; said:
Have u ever done a Pacu? would be cool to save the head with those teeth
I have done one from about a 14" pacu, would love to get a bigger one, but it looks amazing. I will take pics when I get home.

necrocanis

Catfish God
Staff member
MFK Member
Oct 10, 2005
montana
cichlaguapote;1278373; said:
It was a dovii.. I didn't bury it on purpose to be exumed later, only cause it was large and rather than throw it away it was easier to bury 12" down or so. It's under my back deck where no one really traffics over. This thread made me think of digging up the skull.. It's cool though. Will remember for the next dead fish I find..
I say dig it up and take pics lol. Might be worth salvaging. If it's still all there or most of it you can put it back together. Post up some good pics and I can make you a diagram to show you where all the pieces fit.:D I should do a dovii for my collection

cichlaguapote

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Oct 2, 2006
Pripyat, Ukraine
necrocanis;1278393; said:
I say dig it up and take pics lol. Might be worth salvaging. If it's still all there or most of it you can put it back together. Post up some good pics and I can make you a diagram to show you where all the pieces fit.:D I should do a dovii for my collection
I'm gonna look for it tommorrow. If I find it and it's interesting I'll post it up.. :)

necrocanis

Catfish God
Staff member
MFK Member
Oct 10, 2005
montana
cichlaguapote;1279131; said:
I'm gonna look for it tommorrow. If I find it and it's interesting I'll post it up.. :)
Let's hope it's still there. I've been suprised trying to dig things back up and nothing was there. Probably un-noticed was an animal dug it up and took it away shortly after, and I couldn't see the signs of it a year later.

cichlaguapote

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Oct 2, 2006
Pripyat, Ukraine
necrocanis;1279994; said:
Let's hope it's still there. I've been suprised trying to dig things back up and nothing was there. Probably un-noticed was an animal dug it up and took it away shortly after, and I couldn't see the signs of it a year later.
I dug it up wasn't fully decomposed yet??, so covered it back up.. unless someone has a better way to get it to decompose/get the flesh off faster..

Reactions: agikated

necrocanis

Catfish God
Staff member
MFK Member
Oct 10, 2005
montana
Take the head and soak it in peroxide. Was it not full decomposed, or did it just still have skin/scales on it? You said it was there for a year? Should be fully decomposed. I say take pics lol. Peroxide will do wonders for a partially decomposed skull, just watch that it doesn't fall apart, but if it does I will help you.

Reactions: agikated
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store