Aug 14, 2011
Durham, UK
www.facebook.com
Meaning Good ones and bad ones ;)

kewpiefishypewpie

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 21, 2016
I don't know or care that much where salvini and trimacs belong.
I just think it's Cybermans opening line of
"clearly the scientists got it wrong again"
that can start things off on the wrong foot.
Who are we to say in such a matter of fact manner that they got it wrong.
Also the statement about the thorichthys genus. can you explain what you mean there.To me,it's the most straight forward groupings there is.
Any way this discussion is heading nowhere.Science tells us one thing,forum member disagrees.Lets not lose too much sleep.
Very well said.

Reactions: Stanzzzz7

dan518

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 20, 2014
uk
Juan Miguel is a structural engineer, Williem heijns is a bank manager, nether are scientists but both are very well respected.

Reactions: Cyberman

dan518

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 20, 2014
uk
Rico Morgenstern comments on the subject.
Before I knew of the misidentified sequences I also thought that some hybridization event may have led to the inconsistent position of T. salvini in molecular phylogenies. However, if we disregard the results based on those wrong seuqences, we have to acknowledge that the sister group relationship between Trichromis and Thorichthys is unambiguously supported by molecular phylogenetic analyses across different datasets and methods, including the recently developed Next Generation Sequencing approaches. There is not the least indication fof a hybrid origin any more. Therefore we can safely say that, according to our current state of knoledge, Trichromis is indeed most closely related to Thorichthys. On the other hand, a close relationship to Amphilophus trimaculatus or any other amphilophine (ad some stage I had also Parachromis in mind) must be regarded as untenable.

This is a nice example to illustrate that similarity (which in this case is anyway rather superficial) is not the same as (phylogenetic) relationship. Closely related species are often similar to each other, but similar species are not necessarily closely interrelated. Similarity can have different causes such as convergence/parallelism, or the retention of ancestral character states. After all, herichthyines and amphilophines share a common acestry, and it could well be that their common ancestor was a generalized carnivore/piscivore like T. salvini and A. trimaculatus. The same 'type' is represented in other linages as well (e.g. Mayaheros or the Parachromis friedrichsthalii group among Amphilophines, Chiapaheros among Herichthyines), and we should not forget Nandopsis or the Kronoheros-Heroina-Caquetaia clade, which stand in some way basal (exact position needs further investgation, though) to the Herichthyins and Amphilophines.

Cyberman

Aimara
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2011
Durham, UK
www.facebook.com
Meaning Good ones and bad ones ;)
Very well said.

I realise this is a bit to much for you to take onboard... All these interweaving arguments and subplots must be over heating your brain ;)

CrazyPhishMan

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Feb 13, 2017
Massachusetts
I don't see the salvini's similarity to the trimac- are you taking the name trichromis should apply to all 3 colorized cichlids?
I would understand trimac and Lyonsi 100%- 1 looks like a smaller version of the other- salvini look like mini parachromis

8DiagramPoleFighter

Candiru
MFK Member
Oct 26, 2015
NOLA
I don't see the salvini's similarity to the trimac- are you taking the name trichromis should apply to all 3 colorized cichlids?
I would understand trimac and Lyonsi 100%- 1 looks like a smaller version of the other- salvini look like mini parachromis
I tend to disagree. Sals, tris, and Lyonsi have similar body shapes. They're sexed the same and have similar behavioral patterns. If we exclude DNA, I don't see any connection with thoryicthys. I've never seen thorychthys with teeth. I also have never seen salvini sift the sand like thorycthys do. I'm not a scientist but I can reasonably assume that the DNA will ultimately prove that they are all fish. Lol.

Reactions: cich78

8DiagramPoleFighter

Candiru
MFK Member
Oct 26, 2015
NOLA
IMG_2533.JPG IMG_2531.JPG IMG_2532.JPG
Very similar in appearance imo

Reactions: Cubb211

Stanzzzz7

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 26, 2015
Uk
I think there is a lot more to it than looking alike.
Lots of completely different species look a like.

8DiagramPoleFighter

Candiru
MFK Member
Oct 26, 2015
NOLA
I think there is a lot more to it than looking alike.
Lots of completely different species look a like.
I understand. I was responding to the previous post where the poster said he didn't see any similarities

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store