Trichromis SALVINI and TRIMAC "Correction"

Circa4190

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 15, 2009
Carmel, Indiana
I want a Trimac bad, but I'm settling for a pair of Salvini in a 55. Both species are cool.

Reactions: GamerChick5567

mrcichlidman

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 6, 2009
unknown
Clearly the scientists have got it all wrong - again... Timacs and Tricolor Cichlids are the closest relative's to eachother. At the moment, Trichromis salvini is on its own yet it's clear that the two species in question have been divided by ignorance.

Timacs have been joined up with the Amphilphus group indiscriminately by "SO CALLED" experts much in the same way as they've wrecked the Thorichthys grouping... Little over 5 years ago Amphilophus robertsoni became Cribroheros robertsoni then Astatheros robertsoni... it's common name is the "False Firemouth"... the clue is in the name where it truelly belongs....

So I'm gonna campaign that the Trimac should be paired with the Tricolor Cichlid and be re-named TRICHROMIS TRIMACULATUS....

View attachment 1258024

View attachment 1258025

View attachment 1258026

View attachment 1258027

View attachment 1258028

View attachment 1258029

cich78

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2005
new york
....Read previous posts....I can accept DNA evidence with a grain of salt ...would not be surprised if/when DNA evidence and or other evidence causes yet another revision...check out My Rio Naranjo male Trimac .....

20180618_144532.jpg 20180611_123105.jpg

Hybridfish7

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 4, 2017
Here is one from a 2016 article.
Not sure if I'm late, but,
Screenshot_20201001-215542.png
Amphilophus is supposedly closer to amatitlania, and trichromis is supposedly closer to mesoheros and thorichthys. Makes sense to me.
And again, appearance isn't everything, because chiapaheros looks like it would fit into parachromis, and its common name is the false dovii, however it is in fact very far off evolutionarily.
In the end they're all so evolutionarily new that they're all just close enough genetically to reproduce with eachother. If we'd just waited a couple thousand years to start keeping them we probably wouldn't have flowerhorns ?

Reactions: MatteoTheEnder22

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
The notion that outward appearance will be sole determiner of genus is is quite short sighted.
There are cichlids in Africa that are eartheaters, and have a similar body and mouth shape to Geophagines
Fossorochromis rostratatus, and the genusTaeniolethrinops, are sand sifters, does that mean they should be in the genus Geophagus?
There is a cichlid from India, Etroplus suratensus that looks outwardly very similar to Heros severus, should it be called a severum?
1601677750609.png

By the same token Paretroplus nourisatti, has a very different body shape, colors, and very different appearance to many other Paretroplines, does that mean its not Paretroplus?
1601677904880.png
Paretroplus maculates above, Paretroplus nourisatti below
1601678042798.png
The nourisatti is rheophillis, other Paretroplus are not, so it is the adaptation to habitat, and other environmental factors that determines outward, and inward appearance in many cases.
There is a fairly new study, showing that if a river is damed, the skeletal structure of many cichlids living behind the dam, can radically change in only one year after the dam is built, and look quite different than the same species in their previously riverine environment .
Meaning they have the ability to quickly adapt to their environmental changes.
Sorry I saw the link yesterday but have now lost it
The study was conducted on a number of cichlids living behind a dam on the Orinoco River.

cmsbthebest

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jan 13, 2011
CA
Seems like a little convergent evolution explains it.
More like that completely explains it lol.

Why do black bass species and peacock bass seem to have a very similar body and mouth shape?

Convergent evolution ya dingus's.

Reactions: mr72country
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store