Upcoming Movies and TV shows

SilverArowanaBoi

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 21, 2023
Houston, Texas
I'm weird...I've never seen Dracula or Frankenstein (as shows). I have read Frankenstein but never read Dracula...I need help...

• Wow
Reactions: deeda and jjohnwm

jjohnwm

Sausage Finger Spam Slayer
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2019
Manitoba, Canada
Speaking of fantasy...my wife and I had just completed watching a long-running older TV series (House) that we both had been enjoying for many weeks and which came to a very final, complete and satisfying conclusion. Yesterday we sat down and did a bit of surfing and came upon something called "Three Thousand Years of Longing" and I almost passed on it. The fact that it was directed by George Miller is really what swayed me to turn it on; but it was my turn to pick a movie and that overrode my wife's lack of interest in the thing.

Surprise! We both loved it! Tilda Swinton (perfect in this role) plays an academic who releases a djinn (Idris Elba, also perfectly cast in this role...) from a bottle and spends the movie discussing with him what her three wishes will be while listening to his tale of how he came to be in the bottle. The acting is perfect, the dialogue is wonderful, the music is absolutely beautiful, the visuals are subtle and yet magnificent to look at. It's not an actioner; very little violence or gore, a great deal of nudity (but very little of it attractive!), with plenty of intriguing hints throughout which suggest that much of the story lies within the mind of Swinton's character rather than in reality.

The ending was final and satisfying, and completed the story beautifully. I suppose that a sequel could have been built upon that ending, but it would be both unnecessary and undesired. And the fact that the film was apparently an abysmal box-office flop pretty much guarantees there won't be one. Excellent! :)

It's a bit offbeat, certainly not to everyone's taste...but I consider it one of those delightful surprises that crop up sometimes; never heard of it, know nothing about it, and end up enjoying it thoroughly.

esoxlucius esoxlucius ...you listening? You'll like it...so will your wife...you know you can trust me! :devil:

SilverArowanaBoi

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 21, 2023
Houston, Texas
Speaking of fantasy...my wife and I had just completed watching a long-running older TV series (House) that we both had been enjoying for many weeks and which came to a very final, complete and satisfying conclusion. Yesterday we sat down and did a bit of surfing and came upon something called "Three Thousand Years of Longing" and I almost passed on it. The fact that it was directed by George Miller is really what swayed me to turn it on; but it was my turn to pick a movie and that overrode my wife's lack of interest in the thing.

Surprise! We both loved it! Tilda Swinton (perfect in this role) plays an academic who releases a djinn (Idris Elba, also perfectly cast in this role...) from a bottle and spends the movie discussing with him what her three wishes will be while listening to his tale of how he came to be in the bottle. The acting is perfect, the dialogue is wonderful, the music is absolutely beautiful, the visuals are subtle and yet magnificent to look at. It's not an actioner; very little violence or gore, a great deal of nudity (but very little of it attractive!), with plenty of intriguing hints throughout which suggest that much of the story lies within the mind of Swinton's character rather than in reality.

The ending was final and satisfying, and completed the story beautifully. I suppose that a sequel could have been built upon that ending, but it would be both unnecessary and undesired. And the fact that the film was apparently an abysmal box-office flop pretty much guarantees there won't be one. Excellent! :)

It's a bit offbeat, certainly not to everyone's taste...but I consider it one of those delightful surprises that crop up sometimes; never heard of it, know nothing about it, and end up enjoying it thoroughly.

esoxlucius esoxlucius ...you listening? You'll like it...so will your wife...you know you can trust me! :devil:
So basically, you watched a raunchier Aladdin. :lol2:

Reactions: AR1

jjohnwm

MFK Member
Mar 29, 2019
Manitoba, Canada
So basically, you watched a raunchier Aladdin. :lol2:
It's connection to the Tales of the Arabian Nights is one of the things that drew me to it; I loved mythology in general, and those stories in particular, as a kid. :)

Aladdin? Are you referring to the Disney effort? All the Disney animations in recent years are just re-tellings of old classic stories, but with all the characters (human and otherwise) transformed into smart-assed wise-cracking SLV's, who often break into song at the most inopportune moments. I can't stand 'em. :(

SilverArowanaBoi

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 21, 2023
Houston, Texas
It's connection to the Tales of the Arabian Nights is one of the things that drew me to it; I loved mythology in general, and those stories in particular, as a kid. :)

Aladdin? Are you referring to the Disney effort? All the Disney animations in recent years are just re-tellings of old classic stories, but with all the characters (human and otherwise) transformed into smart-assed wise-cracking SLV's, who often break into song at the most inopportune moments. I can't stand 'em. :(
I'm talking about the classic Aladdin, the OG Robin Williams as the Genie Aladdin. Not the cringe new live-action crap they keep coming out with.

esoxlucius

Balaclava Bot Butcher
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2015
UK
you listening? You'll like it...so will your wife...you know you can trust me!
I will absolutely NOT be watching! Once bitten and all that, lol.

However you did mention something which piqued my interest, "House". I got into house years ago, I believe there are about 9 seasons of it. This was back in the day when there was loads of good stuff to watch and I regularly used to juggle several shows at the same time.

I think I got to about season 5 of house and started to get a bit fed up of it. There's only so much of a grumpy Hugh Laurie you can take, and boy was he a miserable so and so lol. I do remember the storylines were quite good though. If I can find it anywhere I might start watching House again.

So, it'll be a firm no thank you to "three thousand years of longing" and a possible yes thank you to "House". :thumbsup:

AR1

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2023
i don't know about you guys but i am more into animated series, the old animated series/cartoons to be more precise.This includes
the old scooby doo cartoon
the Clone Wars (a animated series of Star wars)
TMNT
Godzilla
and some more which i can't remember right now
i have also tried a plethora of latest animated NETFLIX series like The Dragon Prince, Camp Cretaceous, Spy Racers, Kung Fu Panda, etc
but only some of them are good

However what i really, really like to see are japanese Animes!

• Love
Reactions: SilverArowanaBoi

jjohnwm

MFK Member
Mar 29, 2019
Manitoba, Canada
Lol, the story of Aladdin is known from something like 300 years ago; it's part of the 1001 Tales of the Arabian Nights. It's been made into a bunch of movies all the way back even in the Silent Age.

SilverArowanaBoi SilverArowanaBoi , did you think that a screen writer for Disney came up with the original idea...or any original idea, for that matter...back when Robin Williams was a thing? :lol3:

Last edited:
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store