Vine snake

Lepisosteus platyrhincus

Polypterus
MFK Member
Nov 9, 2008
In the caiman den
Anybody on here keep them? I want one but i was wondering if anyone has had any success in getting them on pinkies or something other than green anoles or house geckos. I found yellow ones that were trained on pinkies before but that was a dif species of vine than the greens.

Any other info would be great!!

:headbang2:

edit* i just found this pic

snakefin

Candiru
MFK Member
May 31, 2010
Random Location.
Which species exactly? Ahaetulla prasina?

thewaterboy

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 20, 2009
Boston, MA
sounds like a question for snakeguy101. I don't know him personally but he has cobras...in my mind he is the MFK snake expert.

snakeguy101

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jun 29, 2009
posting bail
thewaterboy;4190544; said:
sounds like a question for snakeguy101. I don't know him personally but he has cobras...in my mind he is the MFK snake expert.
haha, I have never kept them personally but I have kept quite a few picky eaters. The best way to get a snake to accept any food you want is to scent it using the blood and guts of what they will eat normally. It sounds gross but a ton of hognose snakes will eat nothing but toads and frogs so I would squish the toads over a pinky and try and get as much of the fluids onto the pinky, After that it only takes a little tease feeding and they will eat the mouse. Once they have started to eat scented pinks, you can begin to wean them off of the blood and guts simply by using less and less of it each time.

I usually will feed a smaller size than they should be while I am doing this so that I can feed them a bit more frequently to wean them off more quickly. This is also because I am impatient though...

Also, it is way easier to buy the ones that are already feeding on mice. Just let someone else do the work for you. Trust me, it is worth it.

A. gigas

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 19, 2010
i've always really liked these guys, and came very close to buying one once. i especially like the ones with white dots. i may be wrong (depending on species) but don't these guys eat fish? the ones i've seen were all in heavily planted (with mainly vines) tanks with shallow pools of water (3-4 inch deep) at the bottom, filled with kilifish, mollies, and various other small fish. every now and then, one of the snakes would lower itself down and grab a fish. quite entertaining to watch...

by the way, aren't you getting caimans soon? one pet at a time man!

A. gigas

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 19, 2010
snakeguy101;4191240; said:
haha, I have never kept them personally but I have kept quite a few picky eaters. The best way to get a snake to accept any food you want is to scent it using the blood and guts of what they will eat normally. It sounds gross but a ton of hognose snakes will eat nothing but toads and frogs so I would squish the toads over a pinky and try and get as much of the fluids onto the pinky, After that it only takes a little tease feeding and they will eat the mouse. Once they have started to eat scented pinks, you can begin to wean them off of the blood and guts simply by using less and less of it each time.

I usually will feed a smaller size than they should be while I am doing this so that I can feed them a bit more frequently to wean them off more quickly. This is also because I am impatient though...

Also, it is way easier to buy the ones that are already feeding on mice. Just let someone else do the work for you. Trust me, it is worth it.
sorry for the derail, but do you know a good place to buy a hognose, especially one of the red ones? i can't ever find any...

TTTT

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 4, 2009
Cincinnati - The 513
A. gigas;4192469; said:
sorry for the derail, but do you know a good place to buy a hognose, especially one of the red ones? i can't ever find any...
Any reptile expo lol.

snakeguy101

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jun 29, 2009
posting bail
TTTT;4192592; said:
Any reptile expo lol.
Vicious_Fish;4192748; said:
I think I saw some of those for sale at "That Fish Place" during the MFK meet in April.

those were probably westerns. the red ones are the easterns and they are notoriously difficult to get to eat mice so no one really sells them. the best way to get one is to catch it yourself. Southerns also have some red in certain localities but they are pretty expensive.

A. gigas

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 19, 2010
yeah, i figured the reds would be expensive and hard to find..

the problem with reptile expos is that i am cursed by my location. the last expo that happened remotely nearby was 3 YEARS AGO!:irked: plus, i didn't even get to go!

ok, put this thread back on topic.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store