Vine snake

Angler

Polypterus
MFK Member
May 8, 2007
Colorado
I just recently became very interested into taking the plunge into keeping snakes/lizards. I went to a local reptile store today, and they had some Vine Snakes. They were awsomel! I will be a total newbie in this area--the things that caught my eye the most were the Vine Snakes and Leopard Geckos (my favorite was a three foot monitor, but I won't be able to house something like that anytime soon). I hope to maybe have a Vine Snake or Leopard Gecko in the near future.

Anyways, these are very cool snakes, and I hope you find one!

snakeguy101

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jun 29, 2009
posting bail
Angler;4578617; said:
I just recently became very interested into taking the plunge into keeping snakes/lizards. I went to a local reptile store today, and they had some Vine Snakes. They were awsomel! I will be a total newbie in this area--the things that caught my eye the most were the Vine Snakes and Leopard Geckos (my favorite was a three foot monitor, but I won't be able to house something like that anytime soon). I hope to maybe have a Vine Snake or Leopard Gecko in the near future.

Anyways, these are very cool snakes, and I hope you find one!
Vine snakes are a pretty advanced species with them being mildly venomous and nearly exclusive lizard eaters. I would say you should start out with the leopard gecko and maybe a corn snake or if you want something similar to a vine you could get an amazon tree boa (still advanced somewhat but a whole lot easier than vines).

Angler

Polypterus
MFK Member
May 8, 2007
Colorado
snakeguy101;4579337; said:
Vine snakes are a pretty advanced species with them being mildly venomous and nearly exclusive lizard eaters. I would say you should start out with the leopard gecko and maybe a corn snake or if you want something similar to a vine you could get an amazon tree boa (still advanced somewhat but a whole lot easier than vines).
After doing a lot of reading yesterday, I think that is good advice. I think I might get a leopard gecko in the near future.

Lepisosteus platyrhincus

Polypterus
MFK Member
Nov 9, 2008
In the caiman den
snakeguy101;4579337; said:
meh, thier venom aint ****. But when i finally do get one(eventually) i will use a snake hook to move them. Now getting the steady flow of feeders anoles, that is another story. And getting them to eat pinkies is a nightmare.

Of course i gotta care for Claudia first.

And an amazon tree boa aint compareable to the awesomeness of vine snakes. Few snakes can. Esp few none HOTs

snakefin

Candiru
MFK Member
May 31, 2010
Random Location.
Funny how you're bumping this thread as with others bumping the caiman threaad. :D . If you were to keep vines in my country, it'll be relatively simple, high base humidity, foliage, and a tall cage. Not too sure about temps, they should be somewhat variable, vines can be found in the few nature reserves left and on the occasional fence near forest. The venom...should not hurt, assuming you don't have an allergic reaction, something which I don't think you might want to learn at the wrong time.

Lepisosteus platyrhincus

Polypterus
MFK Member
Nov 9, 2008
In the caiman den
ok im interested but vid no work :(

Lepisosteus platyrhincus

Polypterus
MFK Member
Nov 9, 2008
In the caiman den
thanks........

wait........

OMFG this just jumped 20 spaces on my must FREAKIN have list. they have them goin after thier own minnows. Anyone know how to get them to take them? Or at least, a stable source of feeder anoles? I can get these at the reptile show in december.

Conner

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Dec 27, 2008
Kentucky
Aww, they were so cute! And I didn't realize how tiny they were until the guys hand came into the picture...

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store