Went netting...Australian style

Eric A

Polypterus
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2008
Australia
Jacks would be good. I would be lost trying to find certain fish. When you were at harvey ck did you happen to come across macro shrimp or harlequin crabs? I saw these in an Aus fish keeping mag, and thought they looked good.

masone

Candiru
MFK Member
Feb 5, 2006
Cairns, Australia
Macro shrimp? Not sure what they are, riffle shrimp maybe? Unless you mean macrobrachium in which case the top of Hartley's Ck (not Harvey)is full of the giant jungle prawns. I think they are M. lar rather than rosenbergi. Either way they get BIG. Only freshwater crabs I can think of are out at Mt Carbine area. Probably are some around the coast though, so many creeks around here. You do get some in the brackish areas that I've kept for years in full fresh but they are just brown.

Eric A

Polypterus
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2008
Australia
masone;2591691; said:
Macro shrimp? Not sure what they are, riffle shrimp maybe? Unless you mean macrobrachium in which case the top of Hartley's Ck (not Harvey)is full of the giant jungle prawns. I think they are M. lar rather than rosenbergi. Either way they get BIG. Only freshwater crabs I can think of are out at Mt Carbine area. Probably are some around the coast though, so many creeks around here. You do get some in the brackish areas that I've kept for years in full fresh but they are just brown.
The mag didn't have scientific names, just the common names and pictures.

angelo21

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 25, 2008
At my house...
awesome catches!!!

Pulcher

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Mar 18, 2007
Florida
I never knew gudgeons get that big? do they always get that big? the biggest i have seen a gudgeon is about 1 inch. Those are awsome though.

Eric A

Polypterus
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2008
Australia
scottgeeze;2594692; said:
I don't know anything about Australian fish but from what I see you guys down there have some really nice one's.
Id prefer if I lived on the amazon river though.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store