How "monster" can I go?

jwd

Aimara
MFK Member
Dec 1, 2016
Great scaping pal.
Thanks! I'm having one hell of a time with this heater right now. I'm all set for tomorrows delivery but my Jagr heater is driving me nuts. I've had it off until yesterday so the shiners would make it through the cycle (cold water fish) and turned it on at 5 yesterday and left my office. I had it set on 79 and got to work today and it's 82F this morning. So I dialed it down to 75F and 8 hours later it's 82.6F?!!! I was hoping to get it dialed in at 79F or 80F for the Jags tomorrow.

Edit: I don't have it calibrated and trying to find a video that explains how to.

Last edited:

jwd

Aimara
MFK Member
Dec 1, 2016
Last edited:

jwd

Aimara
MFK Member
Dec 1, 2016
Andddddddddddddddddddddddddddddd it went up in temp rather than down. **** it, unplugging it and buying something else..

jwd

Aimara
MFK Member
Dec 1, 2016
Update: I went back to the office and the tank was at 84.4. I unplugged it and went to my LFS and bought an aqueon pro 250 and set it to 80 and left. The light was green on the heater so I'm good to go.

Will the 250 aqueon pro be good enough. That's the highest watt they had and I just read that's the highest aqueon pro goes.

ragin_cajun

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2013
South Louisiana
get a heater controller. Finnex makes a cheap and easy to operate one, i've had mine for years. plug 2 heaters into it, set the temp, and set the heaters' built in thermostat above the controller's setting.

No more worries about stupid heaters.

Reactions: jwd

jwd

Aimara
MFK Member
Dec 1, 2016
get a heater controller. Finnex makes a cheap and easy to operate one, i've had mine for years. plug 2 heaters into it, set the temp, and set the heaters' built in thermostat above the controller's setting.

No more worries about stupid heaters.
https://www.amazon.com/Finnex-Temperature-Controller-Digital-Heater/dp/B002TMTA7G

Is this what you're talking about? Thanks!

My jags should be here any minute now. I did a 60% water change and I'm just waiting for them to arrive. I just bought a 100ft python water changer and boy will I be happy to get that in. I've been pulling a water hose through the window and filling the tank that way for years. With this cold weather I've had to fill up a huge rubber maid with wheels and heating the water. The closest faucet is ~80 feet away.

Reactions: Deadliestviper7

ragin_cajun

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2013
South Louisiana
http://www.aquacave.com/finnex-deluxe-electronic-temperature-controller.html

I got this one. It's analog, so less to break. and cheaper than the digital variety. i find that thermometers are more irritating than heaters, too.

So I buy the cheap glass ones, 2-3 of them. Put 2 in a tank, and make sure they both show water temp in the "green zone". The digital ones cost more, never last, and 2 of those in a tank will give 2 different temperature readings.

Reactions: jwd

jwd

Aimara
MFK Member
Dec 1, 2016
http://www.aquacave.com/finnex-deluxe-electronic-temperature-controller.html

I got this one. It's analog, so less to break. and cheaper than the digital variety. i find that thermometers are more irritating than heaters, too.

So I buy the cheap glass ones, 2-3 of them. Put 2 in a tank, and make sure they both show water temp in the "green zone". The digital ones cost more, never last, and 2 of those in a tank will give 2 different temperature readings.
I'll give that a try, thanks.

I got my jags in and will start a new thread with pictures etc once they're accustomed to the aquarium.

jwd

Aimara
MFK Member
Dec 1, 2016
:( I came to my office today to check on my 2 jags and they were on the floor dead... sad sad day. I have lids and the space they had to jump out of was so small I'm just ...

Reactions: Deadliestviper7
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store