How "monster" can I go?

convict360

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 9, 2013
Scotland
This tank has Oscars written all over it, whether a single specimen with some male convict dithers; or jack dempseys to accompany. For size, interaction; present aggression and beauty, you can't beat it lol. Damn this makes me want an Oscar now haha

jwd

Aimara
MFK Member
Dec 1, 2016
I'm thinking about doing an unboxing video but if I don't I'll definitely do pictures. I'll do some updates over time as well. I sent my payment this morning so I'll be getting them tomorrow!

Edit:

Have a couple questions and don't want to make another thread.

1. I don't have any movement of water at the surface. In the past when I used Fluval cannisters the output heads were just below the surface so I got a lot of surface agitation but with these two Sunsun cannisters the spray bars are well below the surface and I don't get any agitation at the surface. I bought a Tetra whisper 100 yesterday and it's VERY loud and I immediately unplugged it and boxed it back up. What do you guys think, should I get over the noise, not use one at all, or buy a different brand?

2. Breeding temperatures for parachromis managuense? I've looked around online and keep coming up with generic websites with flawed information here and there. If I read on your website that you can keep breeding pairs of jags in a 50 gallon I'm not going to continue to read your information.

Last edited:
Reactions: kewpiefishypewpie

justarn

Arapaima
MFK Member
May 24, 2011
Kent UK
You need good surface agitation is very very important IMO, it really helps get o2 in the water. .
Have you requested an un related pair?

jwd

Aimara
MFK Member
Dec 1, 2016
You need good surface agitation is very very important IMO, it really helps get o2 in the water. .
Have you requested an un related pair?
Good question and one that I didn't think about. I did state my intention in my email but didn't make that request.

I agree with you on adding O2 to the tank. I tried putting the air pump on a piece of insulation and it still made a huge amount of noise. My two cannisters make a fraction of the noise this tetra "whisper" air pump makes.

justarn

Arapaima
MFK Member
May 24, 2011
Kent UK
Yeah I hate air pumps, I personally use power heads if I feel my outlets arnt enough. 1200lph aimed just right so it doesn't splash does the trick.
Unrelated pairs will spawn genetically stronger fry, I'm sure with Jeff it wouldn't be multiple generations being inbred anyhow. That's why the majority of high grade flower horns seen to live only 3-4 years!

Reactions: jwd

jwd

Aimara
MFK Member
Dec 1, 2016
I brought back the Tetra whisper 100 and got the 60. Much much better, not near as noisy.

As I stated earlier, the tank before this was a 90g jungle tank so I've been missing my plants. I know the Jags might/probably will shred these plants but I have to try! The two in the middle of the tank are amazon swords and are planted in between rocks into the sand. The two anubias on the far left and right I got today and tied them to these two rocks in the picture. Hopefully some of them last.

Overall, I'm pretty happy with the tank. The air stones are an eye sore to me but I gotta have them.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

celebrist

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 7, 2013
alaska
looks great!
one thin i have done is put the air stone in an upright fake log to hid it. i also bought some black airline for them (i have four in my 450) and that really helps, a lot more than i expected

jwd

Aimara
MFK Member
Dec 1, 2016
looks great!
one thin i have done is put the air stone in an upright fake log to hid it. i also bought some black airline for them (i have four in my 450) and that really helps, a lot more than i expected
Thanks! Yeah, I'll buy black tubing next time I'm at the store. The fun begins tomorrow when I have to chase all of these shiners around and put in the jags. I'll get them out, do a large water change, and put the bag of Jags in to get the water acclimated.

justarn

Arapaima
MFK Member
May 24, 2011
Kent UK
Great scaping pal.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store