Another dog biting story

skjl47

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 16, 2011
Tennessee
[Some dogs bite and some dogs don't. keep the good ones and cull the others.] QUOTE
Every dog will snap given enough push, the kindest human will strike back when pushed enough, its a natural reaction.
If a human commits assault, even when aggravated, they will be given the chance for rehabilitation, dogs should get the same, just make sure there kept in a family with no small children and an owner who is aware and can handle a dog that has bit
Hello; Dogs are not people and do not have the legal rights of people, at least so far. My understanding being dogs are considered property. People can usually be communicated with to possibly get some understanding of why an act has been committed. As far as I know there is no such way to find out what is in the mind of a dog.
Here is a gotcha question. Given that a dog bite is something that should not be considered an accident. Meaning that for whatever reason the dog did bite on purpose. So outside of accidents what would happen to a human who deliberately caused enough injury to a two year old child for a lot of stitches? The only one I can think of that would not be considered assault might be the act of another small child, but it seems sort of likely "accident" might cover that. So, put the dog in prison to be equal of a human or what?
This notion of placing such a dog in a setting with no small children and an aware owner has been posted in other threads. The brave person who takes in such an animal will be taking on a lot of potential liability. Were I to be a neighbor of such a situation and had small children, that would not seem a good solution. There would always be a possibility for the animal to get in contact with children. Could be done I suppose, but I would want more detail about who pays and how such a deal would be overseen.
My take has been that over time as we humans domesticated animals, some were found to be too risky to keep as pets. Folks keep them in secure cages of some sort. Big cats, bears, lynxand such.
I watched a PBS program some time ago about trying to domesticate a type of wild fox. I think this was for the fur trade. The best I can recall they sorted the individual animals for aggression. The plan being, I think, to breed a line that could be more safely handled. It worked to some degree. They were able to get a line of less aggressive animals that behaved much like domesticated dogs. I think there were also some individual lines where this selection did not work and they remained too aggressive. One irony of this selective breeding experiment being that as the foxes became more domesticated (tamed) their fur lost the distinctive coloration that made the wild foxes so valued. This experiment should be something that can be looked up.
My point in bringing this up being that it is my understanding that aggressiveness was bred out of the wild dog stocks by selecting the more docile and culling the more aggressive. Also that in a very large population the "gene pool" can harbor a lot of traits that generally remain hidden in large portions of the population. Every now and then some combination of these genes will be expressed in an individual, usually considered more rare. My thinking being that some individual dogs are going to be more aggressive than most. It seems wise to either cull those individuals or at the very least have them neutered. I am old school and from a time when we simply put down a biting dog.

Thekid

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 18, 2014
Land of corn
Anyone want to summarize?
Hello; Dogs are not people and do not have the legal rights of people, at least so far. My understanding being dogs are considered property. People can usually be communicated with to possibly get some understanding of why an act has been committed. As far as I know there is no such way to find out what is in the mind of a dog.
Here is a gotcha question. Given that a dog bite is something that should not be considered an accident. Meaning that for whatever reason the dog did bite on purpose. So outside of accidents what would happen to a human who deliberately caused enough injury to a two year old child for a lot of stitches? The only one I can think of that would not be considered assault might be the act of another small child, but it seems sort of likely "accident" might cover that. So, put the dog in prison to be equal of a human or what?
This notion of placing such a dog in a setting with no small children and an aware owner has been posted in other threads. The brave person who takes in such an animal will be taking on a lot of potential liability. Were I to be a neighbor of such a situation and had small children, that would not seem a good solution. There would always be a possibility for the animal to get in contact with children. Could be done I suppose, but I would want more detail about who pays and how such a deal would be overseen.
My take has been that over time as we humans domesticated animals, some were found to be too risky to keep as pets. Folks keep them in secure cages of some sort. Big cats, bears, lynxand such.
I watched a PBS program some time ago about trying to domesticate a type of wild fox. I think this was for the fur trade. The best I can recall they sorted the individual animals for aggression. The plan being, I think, to breed a line that could be more safely handled. It worked to some degree. They were able to get a line of less aggressive animals that behaved much like domesticated dogs. I think there were also some individual lines where this selection did not work and they remained too aggressive. One irony of this selective breeding experiment being that as the foxes became more domesticated (tamed) their fur lost the distinctive coloration that made the wild foxes so valued. This experiment should be something that can be looked up.
My point in bringing this up being that it is my understanding that aggressiveness was bred out of the wild dog stocks by selecting the more docile and culling the more aggressive. Also that in a very large population the "gene pool" can harbor a lot of traits that generally remain hidden in large portions of the population. Every now and then some combination of these genes will be expressed in an individual, usually considered more rare. My thinking being that some individual dogs are going to be more aggressive than most. It seems wise to either cull those individuals or at the very least have them neutered. I am old school and from a time when we simply put down a biting dog.

Thekid

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 18, 2014
Land of corn
Alright the first scentence talks about property rights. Then I gave up.

SumoNinja

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 9, 2007
I'm Where I'm At
I may have missed a lot of context since I didn't read the novel skjl wrote, lol, but animals should not have the same rights as people

Wailua Boy

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2015
Hawaii
Believe it or not, not everyone lives in a grid neighborhood with neighbors close by and not all dogs are companion animals; some are used for hunting, herding and guarding. There are many powerful breeds of dogs that require special care and the same rules would apply to this dog....

Reactions: millerkid519

pops

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2013
WA
my dogs have rights, they have a right to dog food every day with water. They have a right to lick my face, as long as i say its ok. They have a right to sleep on there pillow or on the floor.
They do not have a right to sleep in my bed. They have a right and a responsibility to bark, not bite strangers, they have the right to poop in my yards, nobody else,s. and there are many others.

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
Umm licking my face.....I can't allow my dog to do that,not after he spends a good deal of the day licking his balls and butt....nope nope aint gonna happen.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store