MFK Member
Sep 18, 2014
Land of corn

Frank Castle

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2016
Pennsylvannia
well, 1st off - some pics from last Wednesday when I took my cousin fishing and my friend came along
my channel cat
untitled (29).png
one of my cousin's 2 Flatheads @29"L, 16"G, 10lbs
untitled (30).png
and my friend's personal best 34"L, 20"G, 16 1/2lbs. He said it was too big to grab it by the mouth, so I told him he was a SISSY!!!! hahaaaa He gets sand in his vagina very easily
untitled (31).png

Frank Castle

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2016
Pennsylvannia
The rest of the pics from last Sunday
a few dinky Smallmouths, only decent one I got that day was 12"
untitled (23).png untitled (24).png
Ahhhhh the wonderful wildlife.....untitled (25).png
animals just LOVE me - great camera work on my friend's part loluntitled (26).png
THUMBS UP!!!!untitled (27).png

Reactions: Renegade Aquatics

Frank Castle

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2016
Pennsylvannia
pics from Smallmouth fishing this Sunday, started the day off w/ each of us catching nice little 12" BrownBullheads, one after another - I guess he forgot to send pics of his, but here's mine
untitled (32).png untitled (33).png
started off getting our Smallies on live creek chubs about 8am and by lunchtime they were taking live crayfish drifted in the current, no weights for either bait. I caught a total of 6 between 11" and 13.5" untitled (34).png untitled (35).png untitled (36).png
Then we went to a farm pond and I helped a guy weigh his 34.5"L, 20"G, 18lbs 5oz Flathead some dumbass put in the pond thinking it was "cool"......I forgot the grip glove and when I grabbed him by the jaw, he grabbed me back and did a "Death-roll" on my assuntitled (37).png it still hurts
but I did manage to get 2 Largemouths, this one was 15.5"L w/ 8.5"G but it had no belly on it - weighed a mere 1lb 2oz
untitled (38).png untitled (39).png
speaking of hurt......this other piece of wonderful wildlife swallowed a 2" Green Sunfish my friend was using for bait. I held the tail, my friend used the sole of his removed shoe to pin the head in side the shell so we could cut the line as close as possible to it's mouth, safely
https://web.mail.comcast.net/service/home/~/?id=133095&part=2&auth=co&disp=i
https://web.mail.comcast.net/service/home/~/?id=133096&part=2&auth=co&disp=i
and my buddy also caught this Common Carp this morning around 8 or 9am.....it was 25"L, 14.5"G and weighed 6lbs 5oz
untitled (42).png

Frank Castle

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2016
Pennsylvannia
Stick+ Extended reach= None of the foul bait close to me minimizing chances of contact.
I still don't understand how you hook stinkbait with a stick and a steel leader.

That's like me asking you "How many years does a tree?"
I can't stand sand in the vagina lol but seriously some nice cats...You guys seem to have a great flathead fishery in your region
It starts to slow down in August and Sept. but late May to July its great. We're focused on Smallmouth right now, but we will go back to Flatheads in October again when the giants starts fattening up for Winter. We have only scratchedthe surface of Flatheads and my biggest is still only a 1/3 their potential size

ECW

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 11, 2011
Oahu, Hi.
looks DEEEE-licious.....how about some captions, a recipe w/ ingredients and how to prepare it?
Definitely will Frank Castle Frank Castle
Picked up another monster one over this labor day weekend (8.3 lbs) with a few nice papio sized bluefin trevally and giant trevally. Pics of the new oio coming soon.

Reactions: Frank Castle

Thekid

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 18, 2014
Land of corn
Stink bait comes in what basically is a peanut butter jar that you add water to to make the bait thinner. So I use a slip sinker above a leader to make sure the weight isn't sitting on the plug and when I bait up the plug gets pushed into the bait with the stick so I don't have to pull it out of the jar with my hand.

Reactions: Frank Castle

Frank Castle

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2016
Pennsylvannia
Stink bait comes in what basically is a peanut butter jar that you add water to to make the bait thinner. So I use a slip sinker above a leader to make sure the weight isn't sitting on the plug and when I bait up the plug gets pushed into the bait with the stick so I don't have to pull it out of the jar with my hand.
I see, so you're swabbing it on lures instead of making dip-bombs and putting it on a hook for still-fishing.......we fish for cattys a little different in my neck of the woods lol Once I realized most catfish are predators, we started using live shiners for Channels back in the early 90's, which eventually gravitated to creek chubs and suckers in the early 2000's and were getting larger and more Channels like this, and that was when I accidentally caught my 1st Flathead and found out the story of how they came to be in SE PA. From there we added live sunfish to the menu and the Channels generally avoid the rougher-scaled fish, but we still get them on creek chubs. They also seem to fancy the scent of Hellgrammites as well, but I know people who use Salmon fillets, Chicken liver, and various cut-bait w/ some success.

Stinkbait, dip-bombs and things of that nature sort of lost their luster locally since we realized only Bullheads and smaller Channels seem to hit them. It is very far and few between you will catch a Flathead on those things, or chicken liver and cut-bait

Reactions: Deadliestviper7

Frank Castle

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2016
Pennsylvannia
I could crack out my float pole again, i used it to catch small fish in England.

A tried and tested rig here is a running ledger rig, just a sinker, swivel then leader and these cats eat anything, chicken liver, fish and even bread.

ATM i only have 2 rods, a 6ft bass rod (catch everything on this) and a 10ft light rod as well as a float pole. I might ask my dad if we can go stream fishing with floats at somepoint when he isnt working. Or carp fishing, my best is only around 7lbs so i need to break that.

For the tigerfish most fishing is done with soft plastics SUPERGLUED to the hook or hard lures, i could use live or dead bait for the sharptooth if i go east for tigerfish.

Thanks for all the info frank!
Somehow I missed this post....we're good, you never need to thank me for fishing advice - seeing you younger guys learn catch-and-release and learn-and-teach others safe fishing practice is more than I could ask for. Encourage harvest for stocked and invasive species, and "Catch-and-release" native species that have to fight to survive.

Last edited:
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store