Got My New Tank!

Kustrud

Piranha
MFK Member
Mar 20, 2023
Got it! So I've only ever used buckets.....

Do I turn my filter off, put the Prime in, and then stick the hose in to fill up?

Wait 10 minutes when full and then turn filter back on?

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
On a 75 I couldn’t imagine doing buckets - I’d invest in an aquarium siphon (I use the aqueon one, but the python is the most popular). You won’t regret it.
As for water conditioner, that largely depends on your source water but generally you would dose before/while filling.

Kustrud

Piranha
MFK Member
Mar 20, 2023
Oh for sure, I just want to use my sink so I can fill it easily and at the right temp. I can run a hose from the tank to the backyard super easily as well to drain.

Reactions: Deadeye and Jexnell

Jexnell

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 17, 2017
PNW
Pour in the correct amount of water conditioner (prime, safe etc) right into the area that the new water is flowing into the tank. Some of us pour in half at the start and the rest half way thru. Some, like me pour it all in at the start of refilling. Both ways work without any reported issues.

Arrow indicates where to pour in the water conditioner
20210329_111917.jpg

Kustrud

Piranha
MFK Member
Mar 20, 2023
So I feel like I cannot get my tank quite as clear with the FX4 as when I had the 2 AC 110’s (pic with 110’s below). My media setup in the 110’s was large sponge it came with on bottom, one layer of the link below in middle, and the bio media it came with on top.

FX4 media is everything it came with but changed the bottom “finer pad” to the same stuff below as well.

Now, I also have been stirring it up, adding sand, fish, etc. etc. so maybe I just need to be more patient. I love the FX4 and actually think it’s easier to clean vs large HOB’s, plus I love the no large waterfalls and the current it provides in the tank, amount of media, etc. But I also want my water to look like this again! It’s close, but not as clear.

I could also squeeze in a little AC 50 that wouldn’t really stand out and wouldn’t have to move my tank forward at all either just with the sponge and fine media below as well for some extra polishing….

Thoughts?

IMG_1642.jpeg

Jexnell

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 17, 2017
PNW
I could also squeeze in a little AC 50 that wouldn’t really stand out and wouldn’t have to move my tank

Only problem is I don't think the AC50 will fit on the rim of 75. They are much wider than a 55 or smaller tanks.

Kustrud

Piranha
MFK Member
Mar 20, 2023
Only problem is I don't think the AC50 will fit on the rim of 75. They are much wider than a 55 or smaller tanks.
Good point, I’d really like to avoid adding a HOB anyway. Would removing the sponge filter I had have this much effect??

Am I just being impatient?

Jexnell

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 17, 2017
PNW
Good point, I’d really like to avoid adding a HOB anyway. Would removing the sponge filter I had have this much effect??

Am I just being impatient?
I have never used a sponge filter myself, so can't advise on how well they perform. With me I first used combo's of FX and ACs. Then after some months the hatred built of doing the maintenance on the FX. So I sold them all off and replaced with ACs as thier maintenance is so easy.

During the water change get a bucket of used tank water.
Take lid off of the AC
Pull out the basket
Rinse the sponge and bio-rings in the tank water bucket
Reassemble the basket, sponge on bottom as much bio-rings as you can fit on top
Slide back into the filter
Replace lid

This can be done in the time it takes to get the FX disconnected and out from under the tank...

Doing it this way I never had any issues such of losing to much beneficial bacteria etc. Had three 125s going each with three AC. Had both small fish and big, no problems. 20210420_195521.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Kustrud

Kustrud

Piranha
MFK Member
Mar 20, 2023
Yeah, I get that. The Aquaclears are really good filters.

I really do like the canister so far though, and the way my basement/patio and cabinet is setup cleaning it takes all of 10 minutes. I also like the streamlined look of everything.

I’m assuming I should be able to my tank just as clear as with the 110’s….? If I can’t, that’d be the only reason to ditch it….

Reactions: AR1

Kustrud

Piranha
MFK Member
Mar 20, 2023
One of the Firemouths was clearly sick, not eating, had fin rot, etc.

I didn’t want anything spreading in my tank so took him back today and swapped him for a Blue Acara. This is my max stocking. If it gets crowded, I’ll remove the 3rd Firemouth in the future to rehome.

Added some more black to the mix, and did my first water change with a hose adapter. No buckets!! SO much easier!!IMG_1661.jpegIMG_1658.jpeg

Reactions: Deadeye
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store