just had a first time situation and not sure how to handle it.

Fish Tank Travis

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Feb 28, 2016
Dayton, OH
I would have to agree that it's on him. You did everything right so why should you be out for his mistakes.

Big question is, has he asked for any kind of refund or tried to lay blame on you?

Allan01230

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 29, 2006
Michigan
If it was healthy and he bought it itis his promblem. Fish sit in bags for days when they are purchased and sent to your LFS during shipment so it probally was his water.

xraycer

Arapaima
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2013
Southern NH USA
Are you sure its actually dead?

Even if it is, the buyer got the dat for a steal, so sorry, no refund.

dat_tiger

Piranha
MFK Member
Jul 15, 2008
boston
I wouldn't offer any refund. Once the fish is out of yours hands it's his responsibility. Whose knows what happened to the fish in his tank.

skjl47

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 16, 2011
Tennessee
Hello; Much will depend on what was said during the transaction. If you said something like the fish is being bought as is with no guarantees, then it is his risk and loss. In this case only he eats his loss.

If you said something like the fish is healthy, in good shape or any things along those lines. If you did not mention the stress from the bass and the other circumstances, then it is a question of your class.
You bought a fish that was not suited for your setup. The fish went thru one acclimation at your place. By your description the resident bass did not accept it, so I gather it was under stress. You bagged it up and put it under stress and a second acclimation. Sounds like you had a bad situation and tried to cut your losses. In this case, if you value your sense of honor, then give back his money.

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
I wouldn't offer any refund. Once the fish is out of yours hands it's his responsibility. Whose knows what happened to the fish in his tank.
I'm with what was said here but good post as well by skj.

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
IMHO, if the jur was eating well in Kahuna's tank, the stress didn't affect it, and the alleged stress therefore can be neglected and the situation.

IMHO a lot depends on your relationship and what was said during the whole transaction. Since we don't know the details of it, we can only approach it formally... and formally I must agree with the vast majority of the guys - once the fish is out of your hands, it is not your responsibility.

Such terms are agreed on before the money changes hands.

There 5 hours passed between 11 am and 4 pm. 5-hour long acclimation? That raises flags. Weird. Who knows what happened - too much and too long a stress or if the addition of new water was that slow, it could have run out of oxygen, or maybe it died in his tank - all this guessing is nonsensical. And, again on paper, none of your business anyway.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store