just had a first time situation and not sure how to handle it.

skjl47

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 16, 2011
Tennessee
Hello; While the details of the transaction are not fully known, sounds sort of like it is ok to stiff a fellow fish keeper in order to cut our losses from a poor choice in a fish purchase.

While it is possible the person made some sort of error during the second acclimation, I do not see how the situation of the days prior can be discounted. A good initial acclimation gets a fish into a new tank by mitigating the potential shock of water conditions different from what it was use to. It can take a new fish a while to settle into a new even after a successful initial acclimation.

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Hello; While the details of the transaction are not fully known, sounds sort of like it is ok to stiff a fellow fish keeper in order to cut our losses from a poor choice in a fish purchase.

While it is possible the person made some sort of error during the second acclimation, I do not see how the situation of the days prior can be discounted. A good initial acclimation gets a fish into a new tank by mitigating the potential shock of water conditions different from what it was use to. It can take a new fish a while to settle into a new even after a successful initial acclimation.
This is logical, agree.

But...

If the buyer was made aware of the fish's history incl. recent, that'd be what's called a "full disclosure" and the responsibility would lie with the buyer.

While I agree with you that there are so many unknowns and unpredictables but IMHO we can't go on guessing, with all due respect to your opinion.

Many fish relatively quickly change hands and waters and diets from river to QT with its medications, to exporter, to importer, to transshipper, to vendor and then to seller.

If it's still healthy and eating well, we buy these fish left and right with good measure of confidence but also fully knowing the risks associated with live beings that they may die any moment. And so can we too.

Reactions: crenicichla444

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA

Tig Phish

Aimara
MFK Member
Sep 4, 2015
Deez Nutz
I think the proper thing to do is take the catfish and deep fry it and split the mean between u two and have a good laugh. #friendship, #friedcatfish, #BFFs

Reactions: Angelphish
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store