My new favorite tank. Courtesy of Rare Fish

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Like the way those visas hit those carnisticks ( I assume it is that). Very busy and awesome group of predators u keep DB.

fugupuff

M.A.N. Community Vendor
Community Vendor
MFK Member
Mar 14, 2005
Fish Heaven
Oh I have some updated pictures and info.

The green lacs that I sell/ obviously, from Argentina are all similar, they look green in black background tank, and look silver in a white or light colored background.

The cf. I don't have one now, I cannot comment.

With the cf. lacerdae, I thought I had a greenish one and a reddish one. Well the reddish one, one of the nicest ones I was going to keep, I accidentally sold it. Now its about 8" big, and the jaw is different, bigger teeth, it doesn't swim as much as the green ones. and the chin and bottom fins are gold/yellow color. I'll post pictures soon!!

DB junkie

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2007
Iowa
Oh I have some updated pictures and info.

The green lacs that I sell/ obviously, from Argentina are all similar, they look green in black background tank, and look silver in a white or light colored background.

The cf. I don't have one now, I cannot comment.

With the cf. lacerdae, I thought I had a greenish one and a reddish one. Well the reddish one, one of the nicest ones I was going to keep, I accidentally sold it. Now its about 8" big, and the jaw is different, bigger teeth, it doesn't swim as much as the green ones. and the chin and bottom fins are gold/yellow color. I'll post pictures soon!!
Hope to see your pics soon Wes! I'm guessing the red/green ones here are roughly around that 8" mark as well- And like we discussed there should be at least one of each here, the Panaras that is, the Green eyed guys are still a bit smaller. However the first "red Lac" I got from you isn't far off the size of my 5 yr old Aimara, turned out to be a rather quick grower. Already has a good 3-4" on that wolf I got from you that we assume to be Australis. All of these CF Panara Lacs which I believe to be what the hobby knows as Iguaza Wolves, have ridiculous teeth, even when compared to Aimara.

fugupuff

M.A.N. Community Vendor
Community Vendor
MFK Member
Mar 14, 2005
Fish Heaven
This wolf is in the same tank, swims or sits on the bottom most of the time, have gold stripes on the side, and the fins and face is gold in color and teeth are very visible.

IMG_5268.JPG IMG_5272.JPG

moe214

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Oct 13, 2014
The one I was talking about, yes I believe that's it, and maybe Australia's with a blunt head, maybe just a mala? Not sure on that one. And I can Bett it's quite frustrating, especially since you're fish are so expensive. Good luck with the tor, atf, and armatus. Cool update wes.

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Personally....I think it's likely intermedius just based on jaw folds alone, last pic.

1st pic could be a Australis but hard to say without other features.

The h aust seen on the photos from primo aquatics have green eyes and parallel folds.

Would like to see these fish up and personal but too bad they are enjoying that huge tank. Lol.

Just IMO.

DB junkie

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2007
Iowa
LOL, neither look very Lac to me, seem to have blunt heads and no hunch backs. Look to me (especially the jaw folds) just like the first wolf I bought from you Wes. I've been referring to this guy as an Australis. Mine only really leaves the bottom of the tank to get food. Doesn't really do the "hovering" like my Iguaza/CF Panaras. Are these wolves from the same batch?

Here's a few pics of said wolf with Lucy (lower Xingu Lac).

Last pic is to show the hunch back I'm talking about - that's the second Wolf I acquired from you Wes, labeled a "Red Lac" which I'm guessing is Iguaza as the red/pink in the fins stand out. Has grown quickly and continues to. Sees me and hovers mid water just like the little CF Panaras.

IMG_7529.JPG

IMG_7512.JPG

IMG_7504.JPG

IMG_7503.JPG

IMG_7479.JPG

Reactions: shookONES

fugupuff

M.A.N. Community Vendor
Community Vendor
MFK Member
Mar 14, 2005
Fish Heaven
wow, wow, wow! Al, you do such a good job raising your fish, and you can really appreciate their full potential. The red finned lac has a nice big fins and red spots! Its really different now that you've conditioned them in your system. I wonder if the hunch back has any influence by captive keeping and food. My friend got a Suriname Aimara from me about 2 years ago, its about 22" big, but it has a super high back and big belly, which is never found in the wild. But very healthy and long fins.

Also after doing some more research, it looks like the "lower xingu lacerdae" that only a couple of people have had on this board, they start off with bigger eyes when small, almost aimara like, but they look nothing like any of the lacerdae found in "Argentina" So I think they're completely different fish. Either one is not lacerdae and other may be undescribed. So cool!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store