peta and fishing

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
White house 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington
Hello; I no longer fish for food nor do I keep chickens for food. I can afford to go to a grocery store for my food. When young my family raised chickens and pigs which we killed, cleaned and ate. I do not like the mess of cleaning and dressing out meat so I hire out the job by buying from the local Kroger store.

I still can recall between the ages of six to ten cutting off the heads of chickens for my mom. She then would cook them for our meals. It was what many folks did. Even then other folks did not raise or hunt their own food. We moved into the center of town and I guess could no longer keep livestock. I did not mind because we still had my mom's fried chicken from store bought chickens.

To me here is the thing. I do not listen to opera. Some do and must enjoy it. They can listen to opera all they want and I will not interfere. I prefer the instrumental classical music as well as jazz and old rock. So far other folks have not tried to force their opinions about music onto me.
However some folks have decided their points of view about hunting, fishing, keeping pets and the like is in their own mind more "enlightened" than mine. I do not hunt because I do not happen to enjoy it, but I do not care that others hunt. They hunt while I fish and we each go our own way.

If you do not like the hunt or fish, then don't. If you think hunting or fishing for food is cruel, I get it. The animals likely do suffer at various levels. You do not wish to be involved with such things, then near as I can tell no one will force you to hunt or fish. However do not try to "force" your views onto the hunters and fishers of the world. Your so called "moral high ground" is a figment of your imagination.
The term "more enlightened" or "larger world view" is such a cop out for actually meaning..."hey my views are better than yours, i dont understand your views so mine must be better"

Grinch

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Apr 23, 2014
NJ
The term "more enlightened" or "larger world view" is such a cop out for actually meaning..."hey my views are better than yours, i dont understand your views so mine must be better"
This statement communicates that you do not understand the "world-view" concept. It does NOT mean you need to change your views. Believe it or not, you have a world-view already, whether you want it or not LOL.

Expanding your world-view is all about critical thinking. It's a process of learning. To expand one's world-view you need to be tolerant of other people's view points and willing to learn why they think what they think. Once you have been presented with new information, you then consider that new information relative to your own opinions, and reassess your opinion. It is an active thought process... you can't just instantly "know" the answer (i.e. you don't just instantly "know" your opinion).

While this sounds very simple, for most people, it is not. The tendency for most people is to form an opinion on whatever topic is in question and then filter incoming information such that information that agrees with their previously held belief is held in higher regard than information that does not support their previously held belief. This is called an "echo-chamber" effect and it leads to self-reinforcement or "silo-ing" of opinion.

ehh

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 30, 2013
New Mexico
This statement communicates that you do not understand the "world-view" concept. It does NOT mean you need to change your views. Believe it or not, you have a world-view already, whether you want it or not LOL.

Expanding your world-view is all about critical thinking. It's a process of learning. To expand one's world-view you need to be tolerant of other people's view points and willing to learn why they think what they think. Once you have been presented with new information, you then consider that new information relative to your own opinions, and reassess your opinion. It is an active thought process... you can't just instantly "know" the answer (i.e. you don't just instantly "know" your opinion).

While this sounds very simple, for most people, it is not. The tendency for most people is to form an opinion on whatever topic is in question and then filter incoming information such that information that agrees with their previously held belief is held in higher regard than information that does not support their previously held belief. This is called an "echo-chamber" effect and it leads to self-reinforcement or "silo-ing" of opinion.
Tolerance is a tough thing to ask for in these parts.

Reactions: Grinch

Cloud9

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 13, 2011
Rosemead,Ca 91770
Until then we must survive one way or another in any county country weather peter likes it or not.if abolished or to point of extinction then we got some probs yo

skjl47

Probation Member
Probation Member
MFK Member
May 16, 2011
Tennessee
you do not understand the "world-view" concept
Expanding your world-view is all about critical thinking. It's a process of learning. To expand one's world-view you need to be tolerant of other people's view points and willing to learn why they think what they think.
hello; While you could be saying folks need to expand their world view and become tolerant of the views that folks who hunt and fish have, I am not so sure. Sorts seems a more fancy way of saying that hunters and fishermen/women should really think about what they do and when they expand their mind enough they will surely understand how wrong it is.
To be fair I am not sure what you are driving at. I hope you are for being tolerant of hunters and fisher"people". (see I expanded into the PC talk a bit there.) After all near as I can tell hunters and fishers do not care if someone else does not wish to. I do invite folks to go fishing with me. If they don't wish to I leave them alone. On the other hand some folks who do not like fishing have decided they don't want me to fish as well.
That is a difference. Hunters do not try to force hunting on others, while P people do actively try to force their values on everyone. An example to follow.

form an opinion on whatever topic is in question and then filter incoming information
This is called an "echo-chamber" effect and it leads to self-reinforcement or "silo-ing" of opinion.
Hello; This seems to imply that folks who hunt and fish never stop to think about the activities. I used live bait and barbed hooks for a long time. I eventually stopped using live bait because the fish tend to take it deeper and often this causes a lot of damage when trying to remove the hook. So as I fish for "fun" and not for the dinner table any more I find that artificial baits are rarely taken in deep. Well over 90% of the fish I land are hooked only in the tough mouth parts.

Here is the example of PETA's overreach. Just saw a news story about a monkey managed to take a "selfie" with a man's camera. They have brought a lawsuit to get the legal rights of the photo given to the monkey.

Last edited:
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store