Stocking ~200 gallon office corner tank

TheLorax

Gambusia
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Houston, TX
I appreciate everyone's input! I haven't kept an Oscar before, although I've always wanted to. Never had a corner tank either, I know the sides are 48, but the hypotenuse is over 5' if my math is correct, so there is more swimming space than a straight 4' tank, right? I like the look of the A. Crass, and the idea of patients interacting with the fish, that's the main reason I don't want to do a reef tank or African cichlids. Hadn't realized synspilums were boring, I haven't kept one of them either.

Just not sure I'd be able to find that type of oscar, so wondering if a regular one would really get too big for that tank?

Quo Vadis

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 12, 2014
Wisconsin
I have normal Oscars and Crassipiniss - both are great, and a nice one would get a lot of attention because they are so interactive. To be honest though I have no idea why people are saying a 4ft by 4ft corner tank is too small for an Oscar. I think it would be fine. People regularly keep Os in 90g or even 75g tanks, which are only 4ft by 18 inches. Plus Oscars are not very aggressive really - all mine are just show, and if something won't fit in their mouth they don't bother it too much.

ehh

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 30, 2013
New Mexico
Just put a Midas in there. Something to great and stare at everyone in the waiting room.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Quo Vadis

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 12, 2014
Wisconsin
True, although I am thinking of it from a maintenance point of view also, IMO Oscar create a lot of waste, I am thinking with all the other cichlid in there, the Synspillum would do well... Just my opinion.
Syns usually get bigger than most Oscars. Males can hits 15", and very few Os get that big.

Oscarum monstruoso

Fire Eel
MFK Member
May 3, 2010
I appreciate everyone's input! I haven't kept an Oscar before, although I've always wanted to. Never had a corner tank either, I know the sides are 48, but the hypotenuse is over 5' if my math is correct, so there is more swimming space than a straight 4' tank, right? I like the look of the A. Crass, and the idea of patients interacting with the fish, that's the main reason I don't want to do a reef tank or African cichlids. Hadn't realized synspilums were boring, I haven't kept one of them either.

Just not sure I'd be able to find that type of oscar, so wondering if a regular one would really get too big for that tank?
The front of the tank will be the square root of 32 which is...hmmm...between 5 and 6, closer to 6, so around 5.7 feet, let me grab calculator, brb, ok, yup, I was right, 5.65 feet so that lemon oscar will have the space he needs.

TheLorax

Gambusia
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Houston, TX
Ok, so we just finished painting and renovating the lobby. After consulting with all the involved parties, it seems that one whole wall will now definitely be empty, so a corner tank will no longer be necessary. Sorry to waste anyone's time with that, I thought we would have a TV on that wall (not my idea, who needs a TV?). So I'm now about 99.9% sure I will just do a standard 7ft, 265 gallon rectangular tank. Still thinking about similar stock, but obviously the footprint is longer, so...how would you guys stock it now?

Def will go with an oscar with this change.

virgil2090

Polypterus
MFK Member
Aug 29, 2011
NJ
That really opens up to many combination possibilities.do a search for SA biotope.you can have a great mellow,active tank.I have chocolates, your tank can also handle a group of geos,some school fish-lemon tetras,or other big body tetras....

Sent from my SPH-L710 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Quo Vadis

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 12, 2014
Wisconsin
I'd go with large SA cichlids. Things like Oscars, Chocolates, severum, maybe Uaru or true parrot cichlids, plus some Geophagus Altifrons, heckelli, acaras/Green terror. If you wanted you could throw in some calmer CAs. If you wanted to stay true to SA, a group of pictus could be nice bottom feeders.

TheLorax

Gambusia
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Houston, TX
Not a fan of true parrots, but I will get a Severum or two for sure, almost forgot about sevs. I'd love a GT, but don't have much faith that I'll find one that won't wreak havoc, but I may try.

I've kept chocolates, they were ok.

Any other suggestions as far as a large growing cichlid?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store