4300 Gallon Plywood Build (3600+ Take 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

galabar

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 28, 2011
Bellevue, WA
[Just a note: I only check this thread every few months]

Originally, I would describe myself as a "gung-ho" supporter. You don't see a 4300 gallon tank built every day. I also had no problem with the delays and the leaks (look how long Duke Nukem took).

My big problem came when I saw how the builder responded to questions and criticisms of his building techniques. Here is someone who had not completed his tank and he was berating people for questioning any aspect of his design. He rejected criticism and never even considered that his design might be flawed (watch his response to this thread).

If he had said "Well, I'm not 100% sure about the stacked lumber design and there is a chance that the permadri was not a good idea, but I'm going to soldier through and see if I can get it to work," I wouldn't have a problem. However, he said something closer to "Of course it will work, dummy. I have more large tank building experience in my little finger than you do in your entire body, loser!"

That is very off-putting.

People are successful when they learn from their mistakes, graciously accept constructive criticism, and are willing to backtrack and possibly look inwardly for the source of their troubles. The builder does none of those things.

I want to be supportive. However, I just read post after post that puts me into a negative mood. :irked:

Reactions: Karlotious

nolapete

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 1, 2007
New Orleans, LA
galabar, if you can find any place where I called someone a loser for having a difference of opinion than I did, feel free to show me. The same goes with me saying I have more tank building experience in my little finger.

Glad you want to be a supporter. My stacked lumber method works as demonstrated by Rich's and John's (2) tanks and the fact that my tank does not flex when filled. There's tons of people who told me in no uncertain terms that I was stupid for doing the stacked lumber and that I should just go with the normal walls like everyone else. Do you think I regret for one minute not listening? When I saw Rich, one of a handful of people on MFK that I have the utmost respect for, adopt my method and John's builds show up here with it that was a huge affirmation.

My application of Permadri seemingly doesn't. I took a chance with it. It was proven, at least the Canadian version Zavlar was, so I went with it. I found out later that the examples I found were spray applied with the two part version not the roll on version that I used. The equipment to spray apply is over 2 grand. I didn't have that then and don't now, but think we wouldn't be having this discussion had I had that available to me. I think Permadri is still a viable option if properly applied.

That said, I'm a very strong supporter of Max ACR due to John and Rich's success with it. Their tanks using Max ACR work. At the time I chose Permadri, the only legitimate other choice was Pond Armor and after Jonathan's nightmare with it and Rich's troubles with it, I wasn't about to go that route.

Anyway, I'll get this thing done regardless of the Permadri. If nothing else, it provides a good backup and I don't feel it was a wasted effort.

Hope that we can avoid confrontation in the future and soon be celebrating together this sucker holding water and fish!

fishbum

Piranha
MFK Member
Nov 10, 2007
Antarctica
You think you are the first person to design a tank with stacked lumber? You are the first person to post it on this forum. There is a huge difference.....

And check out his thread on AC if you really want to see him being rude to people questioning what he is doing.

ToolMan78

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 19, 2012
Costa Rica
Hindsight is indeed a good thing.

Old English hind, from Germanic. Cognate with Dutch hinde, German Hinde, Danish hind.

Noun

hind (plural hinds)

A female deer, especially a red deer at least two years old.

The term comes from the thought that these deer had exceptional sight and that if we had seen things with that precise vision we could have avoided the obstacle.
Going through this thread, holy smokes taken me 2 days of putting other things off to get through a little more than half of it, and came across your etymological description of "hindsight". My eyes are sore from reading, so I figured I would throw in my opinion on this completely off-topic subject. I believe the words origins are related to the words "behind" and "sight". As in seeing what is past, or behind you. Just as foresight is seeing what is ahead of or before you. Gotta say I'm intrigued as to what this tank turns out like. Gotta give it to you, this is an impressive build.

ToolMan78

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 19, 2012
Costa Rica
Wow, finally read through it all. Don't lose faith now Pete, you almost got it. It's definitely a brain teaser how the water is making it through the coating. Here's my thoughts if your interested. Being a self healing asphalt based coating, temperature should have a huge affect on it. Now this is pure speculation, but getting a heat gun and heating it gently till it goes tacky may result in it self-sealing.
I have faith that you'll get it up and running, but obviously you have much more important things to consider at the moment. I'm looking forward to when you can get the system up and running and how the aquaponics will work out for reducing your need for water changes. If my living situation ever gets to be more permanent, I would love to build a ring shaped tank with water flowing around it. Only worth the investment though if I can figure on spending a long time living there.

Good luck and keep us posted.

FuNkSty

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 13, 2010
Dubai
You think you are the first person to design a tank with stacked lumber? You are the first person to post it on this forum. There is a huge difference.....

And check out his thread on AC if you really want to see him being rude to people questioning what he is doing.
Fishbum - You are just downright rude and frankly someone not worth listening to. It is his choice wether he wants to show everyone what he himself built and wants to share. For people to come in and harrass him for purely doing that have bad manners. If people feel that Pete cannot take critism as they say, then leave him be. Don't come in and put people down when they have a right to be proud of what they are doing, right or wrong.

Hoop

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Oct 14, 2009
Washington, D.C.
Pete, do you think that a spray coat of the sealer you are using over top of what you already have would take care of the small leak. My thought here is that for the most part you are all sealed up and have a solid thick base of sealer that maybe a spray coat could fill in the tiny areas that for whatever reason didn't seem to get fully coated and are causing the leaks?

anarekist

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Apr 4, 2011
Los Angeles
lol, thread got kinda juvenile, but oh well, thus is the Internets. i hope you get your leaks sorted out, your tank is amazing and an inspiration.

Status
Not open for further replies.
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store