Trichromis SALVINI and TRIMAC "Correction"

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
This is hectic goodness

Polypterus are also taxanomic hell to some degree, all the variants and regions.

I had a salvini but I can't compare it to anything because it's the only cichlid I've ever had :rolleyes:

dan518

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 20, 2014
uk
Dna testing is a tool used in conjunction with other methods, it cannot be used just on its own. A slight difference in dna doesn't mean a new species, it has to be combined with observations, ie, is a group of fish only breeding amongst them self's, do they have a different feeding strategy, are there noticeable physical differences, etc. If not it will be classed as the same species ( melanura, synspilum) if there are then you get a new sp, but still alot of this comes down to someones interpretation.

Reactions: 8DiagramPoleFighter

Cyberman

Aimara
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2011
Durham, UK
www.facebook.com
This info on Salvini suggests Its possibly related to the Amphilophines... thus Trimaculatus if true...or at worst a Hybrid species much like Istlanus.

"Hulsey et al (2004) used five cytb-sequences for salvini. Two of these (AY050619 and AY050623) had been submitted to GenBank (without voucher data) by Říčan et al on 13 August 2001 for use in a paper titled: “Phylogeny of the Central American Cichlidae (Teleostei: Perciformes) based on combined morphobehavioral and Cytochrome b data”. This paper was never published. The other three sequences were done by Hulsey and his coworkers from wild caught specimens (identified in the paper) and submitted to GenBank on 15 June 2003 as AY324027, AY324028 and AY324029. In their tree, the two Říčan sequences show up as sister clade to spilurus, while the other three sequences represent the sister clade to Thorichthys.
The sequence AY050623 was never used again, but AY050619 was used as spilurus by Říčan & Kullander (2006) and by Říčan et al (2008). Lopez et al (2010), Matamoros et al (2015) and McMahan et al (2015) list AY050619 as salvini, hence the peculiar position of salvini (as part of the amphilophines) in their trees."

kewpiefishypewpie

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 21, 2016
You're the one acting retarded by not reading what has been written correctly.... No one is making anything up here... Its a commonly held opinion that differs from the more blinkered bigoted side of the hobby... i.e. you! Its an opinion that is backed up by an article in 1999.... therefore not made up as you put it.
Nothing he said was retarded, you ARE making things up! Just because they look similar to you doesn't mean anything! I asked my girl last night what she thought, based on just photos, and she didn't think they looked anything alike. It's called subjectivity man.

And then you reference the article from 1999, of whom the author-who you quoted- refuted. Get out of here man

Last edited:

Cyberman

Aimara
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2011
Durham, UK
www.facebook.com
Nothing he said was retarded, you ARE making things up! Just because they look similar to you doesn't mean anything! I asked my girl last night what she thought, based on just photos, and she didn't think they looked anything alike. It's called subjectivity man.

And then you reference the article from 1999, of whom the author-who you quoted- refuted. Get out of here man

cichlidfish said I was just making things and apparently it makes me sound retarded...and I wasn't talking about you. I've continued to refer to information presented... and still you guys cant see it and twist round that I'm creating something from nothing.

However, there's always got to be people like you to lower the tone of these educational exchanges when true hobbyists enjoy learning and finding things out about the fish they love but guys like you love to start attacking and trolling for trouble.

Last edited:

8DiagramPoleFighter

Candiru
MFK Member
Oct 26, 2015
NOLA
Sorry but from my point of view we either believe your theory or the professional scientists that study these things for a living.
You may be right but I'm staying with the scientists for now
Scientist aren't infallible.

8DiagramPoleFighter

Candiru
MFK Member
Oct 26, 2015
NOLA

kewpiefishypewpie

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 21, 2016
cichlidfish said I was just making things and apparently it makes me sound retarded...and I wasn't talking about you. I've continued to refer to information presented... and still you guys cant see it and twist round that I'm creating something from nothing.

However, there's always got to be people like you to lower the tone of these educational exchanges when true hobbyists enjoy learning and finding things out about the fish they love but guys like you love to start attacking and trolling for trouble.
You are just making things up. I obviously understand you weren't talking about me considering I said nothing "he" said was "retarded." Your argument is bunk, you are indeed creating something from nothing. How exactly is this an educational exchange when you refer to other people as "retarded?" A very educational exchange indeed, making assumptions based on subjectivity. And now you're too damn stubborn and stupid to admit you were wrong. I always see you on here making bombastic claims, if anyone here is a troll-it's you. How many threads of yours turn into stupid arguments like this?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store