Trichromis SALVINI and TRIMAC "Correction"

8DiagramPoleFighter

Candiru
MFK Member
Oct 26, 2015
NOLA
I don't think I know what you mean. DNA evidence doesn't blur the lines, it makes them transparent.
Are you a scientist that works on the nomenclature? Serious question. You're quite defensive. I'm no scientist but I'm sure that at some point if the scientist keep up the pace that they're on, every cichlid will have its own genus. Every minute color variation or subtle body difference will create a new species and probably a new genus then rinse and repeat. I really think that they need to leave well enough alone. It's getting ridiculous.

Stanzzzz7

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 26, 2015
Uk
Are you a scientist that works on the nomenclature? Serious question. You're quite defensive. I'm no scientist but I'm sure that at some point if the scientist keep up the pace that they're on, every cichlid will have its own genus. Every minute color variation or subtle body difference will create a new species and probably a new genus then rinse and repeat. I really think that they need to leave well enough alone. It's getting ridiculous.
Not necessarily. Some fish once thought to be different species have become lumped together thanks to Dna,melanura and synspilum spring to mind.

8DiagramPoleFighter

Candiru
MFK Member
Oct 26, 2015
NOLA
You guys are discounting looks and behavior as evolution but just because my dog and my cat may have like dna doesn't make them the same. That's just a facetious example but you get the point. Just because the dna says that on a mitochondrial level, there are similarities doesn't mean that they should be grouped together. The 3 fish that I mentioned (lyonsi, trimac, salvini) have distinct similarities that cannot be ignored. At the end of the day this only matters to scientist but I think that regularly changing genus/species is pointless.

8DiagramPoleFighter

Candiru
MFK Member
Oct 26, 2015
NOLA
Not necessarily. Some fish once thought to be different species have become lumped together thanks to Dna,melanura and synspilum spring to mind.
You can actually look at the two and make that declaration.

Stanzzzz7

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 26, 2015
Uk
With that notion do you think uropthalmus and festea should be in the same genus?

kewpiefishypewpie

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 21, 2016
I am not a scientist that works on the nomenclature. I didn't think I was being defensive, a lot gets lost in translation online. I was being genuine when I said I wasn't sure what you meant.

8DiagramPoleFighter

Candiru
MFK Member
Oct 26, 2015
NOLA
With that notion do you think uropthalmus and festea should be in the same genus?
I would say no to that based on the fact that they are on 2 different continents. With that said said, I've kept both species and I don't think that they are similar in any fashion (behavior nor looks). DNA may say different. I'm not anti science. I'm just pro common sense. When the science or the scientist starts to over analyze, the water gets muddy to me. The first fish that I ever kept was a convict. Now when I look at my convict, I just think its a mutt because "science" has told me that there are multiple different types and I'm not even sure what I have anymore. My unscientific opinion says that they are all the same fish with different shapes and colors. There are fat humans, skinny humans, dark and light but we don't reclassify humans regularly. Every time there is a minute change in a fish, scientist are pulling out dna kits.

8DiagramPoleFighter

Candiru
MFK Member
Oct 26, 2015
NOLA
I am not a scientist that works on the nomenclature. I didn't think I was being defensive, a lot gets lost in translation online. I was being genuine when I said I wasn't sure what you meant.
Understood. I'm enjoying the convo. Its why I come on here. I learn from you guys/gals LOL. Talking with you has been the best part of this rainy day for me.

8DiagramPoleFighter

Candiru
MFK Member
Oct 26, 2015
NOLA
Strange they were thought to be two separate species for decades.
Exactly. I've only been in the hobby for about 25yrs but I've always thought that they were the same fish. I remember going to the library to look at Dr. Axelrod's fish almanac so that I could learn about cichlids and get visual references. Those two fish never stood out as different to me.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store