Official Off Topic Discussion Thread #1

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
White house 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington
I get the language thing in class but why would American kids need to sit through a class teaching how to speak English. If I move to France I doubt they hold classes on how to speak French in grade school

Reactions: Deadliestviper7

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
Let's look at legal immigration on simple terms country A holds Rally's we're they chant death to country B. Country B should take in immigrants from country A ?

Who thinks this is a good idea ?

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
I get the language thing in class but why would American kids need to sit through a class teaching how to speak English. If I move to France I doubt they hold classes on how to speak French in grade school
I'm with you on that,American kids should not have to waste time in such classes,they should only be for the kids who don't know the language.
From what I have heard you don't have to go all the way to France as in some parts of Canada people ignore you if you dont speak French....compare that to here where in some places you can walk down a street and all the signs are in another language.

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
I'm with you on that,American kids should not have to waste time in such classes,they should only be for the kids who don't know the language.
From what I have heard you don't have to go all the way to France as in some parts of Canada people ignore you if you dont speak French....compare that here where in some places you can walk down a street and all the signs are in another language.
Almost all of the store fronts where I grew up in Brooklyn are in different languages

Reactions: Deadliestviper7

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
Almost all of the store fronts where I grew up in Brooklyn are in different languages
I've seen plenty of that here too.It's kind of disrespectful but on the other hand this country is so accomodating.One couldnt do that someplace else.

Reactions: J. H.

J. H.

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 14, 2016
From what I have heard you don't have to go all the way to France as in some parts of Canada people ignore you if you dont speak French....compare that to here where in some places you can walk down a street and all the signs are in another language.
The US is a country of immigrants. We are all immigrants, or the children of immigrants. (except for the native peoples, but they are far from a majority.) France is a bigoted, corrupt European country. The US is supposed to be BETTER than France in every way. The US is, and hopefully will remain, the world's best country. Even if we stop being the most powerful, we should never stop being the best.
BTW, assimilation is a 2 way street. In order to assimilate people into our culture, we must accept part of theirs. This is why the US's culture is more diverse than that of any other's, and it something you must think about when yelling about your fear of Islam. I am not saying there is nothing to be afraid of, but the refugees are coming here looking for a better place, not to stay in their bloodthirsty homeland. The Cossacks who came to the US 100yrs. ago assimilated with no issues, and they were born & bred thieves, murderers, warriors & rapists - that's all their culture was about - kid is born, forge him a sword style of thing. The people who choose to leave their country and make a better life in the US are probably among the best of the people of their country, and show, just by coming here, that they want our culture. Let them blend in and share as they can.

Warborg

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Sep 2, 2009
Austin, Texas
The people who choose to leave their country and make a better life in the US are probably among the best of the people of their country, and show, just by coming here, that they want our culture. Let them blend in and share as they can.
The problem is they want to convert our Country to their ways.

skjl47

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 16, 2011
Tennessee
The US is a country of immigrants. We are all immigrants, or the children of immigrants. (except for the native peoples, but they are far from a majority.)
Hello; This statement has some kernels of truth to it but the imagined expanse is a bit too broad. I am not an immigrant. Nor were my parents, my grandparents, my great grandparents and so on back a ways. I know there will be a first or two immigrant somewhere a ways back.
As you said the native peoples were here before the Europeans came along 1n the 1400's. However some think the native people are thought to have migrated from Europe during an ice age. The later Europeans took the place away from the "native peoples'.
The point I am getting at is enough time has past (over two hundred years) since the founding of the country so that we can have a culture of our own. A culture that those who come here at this much later date need to acclimate themselves to.

In order to assimilate people into our culture, we must accept part of theirs.
Hello; Continuing on with my above comments. I call BS on the idea that those of us well established in this country MUST accept the social norms of late comers.
An example; say I go to a country where "honor killings", stoning death for adultery, female circumcision are the norm. Should I expect to have them change those practices because I have different points of view. I say no. If a country has a language different from mine or practices different from mine and I do not want to go with their flow then I should stay away.

something you must think about when yelling about your fear of Islam
Hello; Again I call a bit of BS on this I MUST think about assimilating a foreign culture into my own stuff. No I do not have to accommodate any such thing. It may not be playing fair by some standard you have dreamed up but it is not a must do on my list.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store