Official Off Topic Discussion Thread #1

Drstrangelove

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 21, 2012
San Francisco
It is a violation of the National Labor Relations Act. In many cases, they spy on their employees.
You said they broke the law by asking managers to tell them on a hotline whether or not they had noticed any union activity. There should be a specific spot in the law that says that. Where in the NLRA does it say that?

Nothing in that link shows that. In fact, it contradicted it. If "seeing people doing union activity is not spying", then clearly managers are able to tell their bosses that they saw it. As in, on a hotline.

In fact, the actual law also says that employers can't "Prohibit employees from talking about the union during working time, if you permit them to talk about other non-work-related subjects." That implies that if an employer doesn't permit any talk about non-work subjects, they are well within their rights to prohibit talk about union subjects during work time.

Which also means that the only reason employees are able to discuss unions at work at all, is because employers have permitted them to do so.

Last edited:
Reactions: jaws7777

PYRU

Probation Member
Probation Member
Apr 8, 2015
SE
I went to the article your first link was based off.
It says that

If we put the cost pehttps://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/threads/official-off-topic-discussion-thread-1.534373/page-815#post-7954673https://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/threads/official-off-topic-discussion-thread-1.534373/page-815#post-7954673r employee in the middle at 8k per year, it totals out to 54,400,000 per year. A barrier to this being effective is their inconstant scheduling used to keep from classifying their workers as full time. They are required to offer full time status to employees working 40 hours or more for 12 weeks so they manipulate scheduling to get around this. If you aren't sure what hours and how many you are working, can you really get a education? I also want to know how they got a figure of 68k using this program.

For the second and third links, sure walmart might pay higher wages than a mom and pop store. But this is still very low. Let's say a employee earns 12.50 a hour and gets full time (unlikely) at 40 hours. 12.50 times 40 equals 500 dollars a week before taxes. Per year, that is just 24k a year. And that is before accounting for taxes and varying hours.
So you don't know and your using ancedotal evidence.

Let me give you some anecdotal in return. My buddy was full time they helped him with college and let him work a schedule so he could go to school. It's a case by case basis, but again anecdotal...so doesn't really mean much. By the way he worked thru the ranks there then changed jobs and now is apart of higher middle class.

So what's wrong with 12.50/hr? I was making that. Had an apartment, a used car, food in my mouth, etc etc. I didn't have the nicest, but then again I didn't have enough experience yet. Worked my up got performance raises...changed jobs for better pay/ benefits.

We're not built for mediocrity. What makes us great is you can be as great as you want to be. The problem isnt wages it's people's mentality and acceptance of being mediocre. If you want to settle then that's your perogative, but that's YOUR choice.

Aspire to be great and help others around you be great. That's what it's about.

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
White house 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington

Let me give you some anecdotal in return. My buddy was full time they helped him with college and let him work a schedule so he could go to school. It's a case by case basis, but again anecdotal...so doesn't really mean much. By the way he worked thru the ranks there then changed jobs and now is apart of higher middle class.

So what's wrong with 12.50/hr? I was making that. Had an apartment, a used car, food in my mouth, etc etc. I didn't have the nicest, but then again I didn't have enough experience yet. Worked my up got performance raises...changed jobs for better pay/ benefits.

We're not built for mediocrity. What makes us great is you can be as great as you want to be. The problem isnt wages it's people's mentality and acceptance of being mediocre. If you want to settle then that's your perogative, but that's YOUR choice.

Great words right there. Hope they don't fall on deaf ears. Many moons ago when I was a teenager I worked on a Ben and Jerry's delivery route the money sucked and was a dead end job then I went intl construction. Mainly demo. It's was gruelling work. I hated it. Caught a lucky break and got a job pulling cables in a tech group for a major bank. Worked my way up the chain. 1st it was AVP, then made it to VP. 20 guys under me and an almost endless budget as long as I could justify the spending. All without a college degree. Wonder if I would have been so HUNGRY I'd that very 1st job paid me a little more....

Reactions: Deadliestviper7

imabot

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jun 8, 2017
You said they broke the law by asking managers to tell them on a hotline whether or not they had noticed any union activity. There should be a specific spot in the law that says that. Where in the NLRA does it say that?

Nothing in that link shows that. In fact, it contradicted it. If "seeing people doing union activity is not spying", then clearly managers are able to tell their bosses that they saw it. As in, on a hotline.

In fact, the actual law also says that employers can't "Prohibit employees from talking about the union during working time, if you permit them to talk about other non-work-related subjects." That implies that if an employer doesn't permit any talk about non-work subjects, they are well within their rights to prohibit talk about union subjects during work time.

Which also means that the only reason employees are able to discuss unions at work at all, is because employers have permitted them to do so.
My bad sorry for my misunderstanding.

J. H.

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 14, 2016
Thanks for the back up.
I have never had the pleasure of visiting the statue but I plan to do so this summer.I know I would be absolutely livid if my visit was ruined because of such foolishness.....they should have heaved her into the water!
Go on their website and book tickets in advance, or they won't let you into the crown. It is definitely worth seeing.
Lets hope this generation is never called on for a real, boots on the ground war!
I hope so to. I do not want to be drafted. I've considered signing up for USACE, but I do not want to be a combat soldier. My grandfather fought in Korea, I have heard the stories, and know what it is about. Drugs, suicide, fragging...

Reactions: Kris P Bacon

skjl47

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 16, 2011
Tennessee
Hello; Just saw where one of the divers working to rescue the boys trapped in a cave has died. Not much detail in the report I read. He was an ex-navy diver and apparently ran out of air or something like that.
Some times I wish I could not be such a pessimist but this whole thing has the potential to be a disaster.
I also heard that the boys are being trained to scuba dive. Also that some are too weak to even try an attempt to swim out. Also that none of the boys can swim. Also there is one especially tight underwater passage that is very tricky and difficult for the experienced divers.
I am going to stop writing and try to think about something else.

Reactions: Deadliestviper7

*ROCK*

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jun 8, 2018
Hello; Just saw where one of the divers working to rescue the boys trapped in a cave has died. Not much detail in the report I read. He was an ex-navy diver and apparently ran out of air or something like that.
Some times I wish I could not be such a pessimist but this whole thing has the potential to be a disaster.
I also heard that the boys are being trained to scuba dive. Also that some are too weak to even try an attempt to swim out. Also that none of the boys can swim. Also there is one especially tight underwater passage that is very tricky and difficult for the experienced divers.
I am going to stop writing and try to think about something else.
Yeah, just read that. I thought, the death toll has begun, all because that stupid coach wanted to write on the walls, sad...

Ogertron3000

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Nov 6, 2017
Australia

I would have thought discussing the union would be considered "a work related subject"

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store