Official Off Topic Discussion Thread #1

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
Did you try going in the shade?
Well yeah,my porch is shady.I don't recall being under seige by biting flies during previous summers.The bastards are fast too.I can't seem to hit a single one when I swat at them.

Deadliestviper7

The Necromancer
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2016
Well yeah,my porch is shady.I don't recall being under seige by biting flies during previous summers.The bastards are fast too.I can't seem to hit a single one when I swat at them.
They make good fish food tho, the slightly longer and hotter summers can lead to more generations of bugs in a season

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
They make good fish food tho, the slightly longer and hotter summers can lead to more generations of bugs in a season
I wish I could wound every last one of them and feed them to the ants on the ground.

PYRU

Probation Member
Probation Member
Apr 8, 2015
SE
Yellow flies are relentless and painful. Nothing works to knock them down either

Drstrangelove

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 21, 2012
San Francisco
The ocean weighs 1.4 quintillion tons. The biomass in the ocean weighs 10 billion tons. The plastic being added is 8 million tons (of which the US is just 72,000 tons.)

The plastic added by plastic bags in NJ is probably around 3,000 tons (assuming NJ is 10% of the US and that 40% of the plastic is from plastic bags.) That's equal to 3 billion grams of plastic (3 * 10^9.). Most of the plastic is smaller than a gram.

The ocean is equal to 1.4 trillion billion grams (1.4 * 10^24.) That's a ratio of 467 trillion: 1 (water to plastic.)

It takes 16 grams of cyanide to kill a person. (Well, not everyone, but about 85%.) If all the plastic NJ put in the ocean, was cyanide instead, you would have to drink the equivalent of 2 trillion gallons of seawater to die from cyanide poisoning.

If it was sarin (nerve agent), it would be far more dangerous of course. In that case, if your skin was exposed to 1.2 billion gallons of water, you'd be a goner.

So, I'm skeptical that hand-picked pictures of unfortunate sea life exposed to plastic before it disintegrates is representative of what happens in the ocean. And I am baffled by what scientists told NJ officials that their efforts would have any effect at all.

Otoh, I'm not baffled by what legislators wanted. There's never been a tax that politicians won't impose if voters accept a good song and dance.

Last edited:
Reactions: Deadliestviper7

pops

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2013
WA
no bug issues here, but the heat is finally on, 96 yesterday, 93 today. and no breeze. making my guys take take breaks inside and down bottle water. booted up the irrigation to 10 minutes a zone for a total of 4 hours 55 minutes run time. 3 boxes, 35 zones per box for a total 105 zones. every thing looking good.

Deadliestviper7

The Necromancer
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2016
The ocean weighs 1.4 quintillion tons. The biomass in the ocean weighs 10 billion tons. The plastic being added is 8 million tons (of which the US is just 72,000 tons.)

The plastic added by plastic bags in NJ is probably around 3,000 tons (assuming NJ is 10% of the US and that 40% of the plastic is from plastic bags.) That's equal to 3 billion grams of plastic (3 * 10^9.). Most of the plastic is smaller than a gram.

The ocean is equal to 1.4 trillion billion grams (1.4 * 10^24.) That's a ratio of 467 trillion: 1.

It takes 16 grams of cyanide to kill a person. (Well, not everyone, but about 85%.) If all the plastic NJ put in the ocean, was cyanide instead, you would have to drink the equivalent of 2
trillion gallons of seawater to die from cyanide poisoning.

Needless to say, you'd never suffer the effects of cyanide poisoning.
Much plastic floats, it is then ingested by fish, then later us.

Deadliestviper7

The Necromancer
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2016
no bug issues here, but the heat is finally on, 96 yesterday, 93 today. and no breeze. making my guys take take breaks inside and down bottle water. booted up the irrigation to 10 minutes a zone for a total of 4 hours 55 minutes run time. 3 boxes, 35 zones per box for a total 105 zones. every thing looking good.
Farming? What you growing?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store