Tiger Oscars, and convict cichlids

HybridFinatic

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 24, 2018
Virginia
Male carpintis are typically on the aggro side. As they sexually mature and get some size to them, bad things can often happen to females. Have you successfully kept mature pairs in 4ft tanks?
I have friends who have done it very successfully but personally no I haven’t but I also haven’t attempted it either so.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
I agree with the others about extra filtration not being the end all, its bio media takes care on ammonia and nitrite, and makes the tank "look" clean, by removing particulate, but with large fish like cichlids that only masks the true problems of the invisible pollutants they put out, that degrade water quality, and unless the media is regularly cleaned, ifilters mostly just sweep stuff under a rug (in the filter, yet still in the water), stuff only water changes can really remove.
I also would say carpintus is almost as problematic as an oscar in your size tank.
There is a difference between loving something, and having to have it, and the actual ability to give it the proper care.
I believe oscars are probably the most abused fish in the hobby, and often by people who love them.

Reactions: LBDave and Jexnell

Hank82

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Apr 23, 2019
Stillwater, Oklahoma
I agree with the others about extra filtration not being the end all, its bio media takes care on ammonia and nitrite, and makes the tank "look" clean, by removing particulate, but with large fish like cichlids that only masks the true problems of the invisible pollutants they put out, that degrade water quality, and unless the media is regularly cleaned, ifilters mostly just sweep stuff under a rug (in the filter, yet still in the water), stuff only water changes can really remove.
I also would say carpintus is almost as problematic as an oscar in your size tank.
There is a difference between loving something, and having to have it, and the actual ability to give it the proper care.
I believe oscars are probably the most abused fish in the hobby, and often by people who love them.
So just having one should be ok?

Reactions: Jexnell

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
One Oscar would be fine in a tank that size, as long as you do your due diligence with regards to water changes, and filter maintenance.

Reactions: Jexnell and Hank82

Jexnell

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 17, 2017
PNW
I thought it was a female Sagittae your carpintis killed. Maybe I’m wrong. It can be a hit or miss with some fish.
I ordered a second pair of Carpintis from COA, Male came in at 7in,female 6in. She survived 3 days even with a retreat for her only, must have been a particularly aggressive male.20190220_104942.jpg20190220_104914.jpg
Also Casper has killed off two females now. So he is done with breeding and trying to find tankmates as he just killed off four Spanner barbs.

HybridFinatic

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 24, 2018
Virginia
I ordered a second pair of Carpintis from COA, Male came in at 7in,female 6in. She survived 3 days even with a retreat for her only, must have been a particularly aggressive male.View attachment 1371163View attachment 1371164
Also Casper has killed off two females now. So he is done with breeding and trying to find tankmates as he just killed off four Spanner barbs.
Oh I remember. Yeah that was I unfortunate by the time you even got to post about them he had had killed the female.

Hank82

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Apr 23, 2019
Stillwater, Oklahoma
I ordered a second pair of Carpintis from COA, Male came in at 7in,female 6in. She survived 3 days even with a retreat for her only, must have been a particularly aggressive male.View attachment 1371163View attachment 1371164
Where did you order them from?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store