My Amphilophus Sagittae journal

DMD123

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Oct 23, 2009
Lakewood, WA
Jexnell Jexnell , how are you liking the filtration with the canisters gone? On my garage tanks they are all Aquaclear hob’s so super easy maintenance. My 300 has 3 FX6’s and is a total pain.

Reactions: Jexnell

Jexnell

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 17, 2017
PNW
Jexnell Jexnell , how are you liking the filtration with the canisters gone? On my garage tanks they are all Aquaclear hob’s so super easy maintenance. My 300 has 3 FX6’s and is a total pain.
So very easy now, so I do it more often now actually. Each water change one of the AC's gets cleaned. Takes less that 5 minutes and no worry of parts breaking along the way.

Reactions: DMD123

Cich Mind

Dovii
MFK Member
Feb 28, 2021
Michigan
Awesome, healthy looking fish Jexnell. What is the average adult size of Sagittae? I'm very interested in Amphs but only have a 90g.

Reactions: Jexnell

Jexnell

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 17, 2017
PNW
Awesome, healthy looking fish Jexnell. What is the average adult size of Sagittae? I'm very interested in Amphs but only have a 75g.
I eyeball Casper around 12in mark. He has been in my care for near 3 years now. Got to around 10in mark in the first year. Now it's a seesaw game back and forth between thickening up and gaining length.

Look at Lyonsi, while I have not kept them myself yet. From my research the males only get to the 10in mark. A single male would be a better fit for the 75.
maxresdefault-1.jpg
Not my pic got it from Google

They are my next project. A smaller less murderous Festae sorta.

Kevin@TUIC

Aimara
Staff member
Community Vendor
MFK Member
nice pic! ;)
That is my pair which can be found here:
lyonsi most certainly get over 10". This pair as shown shared this 220gallon aquarium(72x24x30) to themselves.
That pair supplied the hobby with thousands of offspring for 8-9 years. Likely most in the trade currently, originated from that pair. Early last year I was offering 6-8" individuals. of course those are long gone but, up until last month I consistently offered 2-3" juveniles weekly. I still work with the species. They are on hiatus at the moment but I will certainly have more soon.
I've had gorgeous females up to 8" and males at 12". The largest male I've ever seen was the father to the pair in the photo above and the link I provided here in this post. it was in Jeff Rapps hatchery (now mine) for years. it eventually passed a little over 12". it was THICK!
Sadly, no wild stock has been collected of them in many, many years. allegedly some wild stock was collected a few years back but, nothing ever was able to back that up from what I recall. I personally know of two trips to specifically target them that came up empty. in fact one entire body of water was completely gone! I do know that an attempt is being made(as I type this) to locate them. It was thought they have become extinct but, recent sightings have been claimed. so we will see..
These are one of my personal all-time favorite species.

lyon.male.jpg

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store