My Amphilophus Sagittae journal

KATALEKEEPER

Dovii
MFK Member
Nov 18, 2020
Brooklyn, Ny
nice pic! ;)
That is my pair which can be found here:
lyonsi most certainly get over 10". This pair as shown shared this 220gallon aquarium(72x24x30) to themselves.
That pair supplied the hobby with thousands of offspring for 8-9 years. Likely most in the trade currently, originated from that pair. Early last year I was offering 6-8" individuals. of course those are long gone but, up until last month I consistently offered 2-3" juveniles weekly. I still work with the species. They are on hiatus at the moment but I will certainly have more soon.
I've had gorgeous females up to 8" and males at 12". The largest male I've ever seen was the father to the pair in the photo above and the link I provided here in this post. it was in Jeff Rapps hatchery (now mine) for years. it eventually passed a little over 12". it was THICK!
Sadly, no wild stock has been collected of them in many, many years. allegedly some wild stock was collected a few years back but, nothing ever was able to back that up from what I recall. I personally know of two trips to specifically target them that came up empty. in fact one entire body of water was completely gone! I do know that an attempt is being made(as I type this) to locate them. It was thought they have become extinct but, recent sightings have been claimed. so we will see..
These are one of my personal all-time favorite species.

View attachment 1454288
it looks like I will be getting a 200 gallon tank when I move to Europe. These are definitely some of my favorites. They look like what you would get if you crossed a festae and a convict! How aggressive are they when breeding? The tank is a square one (3x 3x 3x) so 9 feet of floor space. Is that enough? Would other species would work with them?

Jexnell

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 17, 2017
PNW
nice pic! ;)
That is my pair which can be found here:
lyonsi most certainly get over 10". This pair as shown shared this 220gallon aquarium(72x24x30) to themselves.
That pair supplied the hobby with thousands of offspring for 8-9 years. Likely most in the trade currently, originated from that pair. Early last year I was offering 6-8" individuals. of course those are long gone but, up until last month I consistently offered 2-3" juveniles weekly. I still work with the species. They are on hiatus at the moment but I will certainly have more soon.
I've had gorgeous females up to 8" and males at 12". The largest male I've ever seen was the father to the pair in the photo above and the link I provided here in this post. it was in Jeff Rapps hatchery (now mine) for years. it eventually passed a little over 12". it was THICK!
Sadly, no wild stock has been collected of them in many, many years. allegedly some wild stock was collected a few years back but, nothing ever was able to back that up from what I recall. I personally know of two trips to specifically target them that came up empty. in fact one entire body of water was completely gone! I do know that an attempt is being made(as I type this) to locate them. It was thought they have become extinct but, recent sightings have been claimed. so we will see..
These are one of my personal all-time favorite species.

View attachment 1454288
Thanks Kevin for the info, can't wait to get some myself.

Cich Mind

Dovii
MFK Member
Feb 28, 2021
Michigan
Don't let him trick you. Where he is there is sand, that's why he is sideways. Behind his rocks it's clear to the bottom glass and he can swim normal.
View attachment 1455670
Wow Jexnell Jexnell ,
That is quite the WC schedule. Fin level, every three days. Kudos to you sir. I'm sure that water is pristine. Are there any nitrates left in there. Lol. Good job.

Reactions: Jexnell

Jexnell

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 17, 2017
PNW
Wow Jexnell Jexnell ,
That is quite the WC schedule. Fin level, every three days. Kudos to you sir. I'm sure that water is pristine. Are there any nitrates left in there. Lol. Good job.
Last time I actually tested there was barely and color change in the tube.
I have to get a new test kit. Been back in the hobby long enough for mine to expire.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store